Overthinking!

@LeapOfFaith you are overthinking this, I think everybody does in the beginning.  I know I did.  Try to look at it this way, you only live one moment at a time, so just don't smoke in this moment.  We all worry about how we will deal with the withdrawal symptoms we will face tomorrow and that is why we fear quitting because it seems so impossible.  The reality is that all you have to deal with is the withdrawal you feel in the moment.  None of us quit forever, we just quit for now because that's all there is...now.  There is no yesterday or tomorrow and today only consists of now.  I hope this makes sense.   Good luck.

• Like 7

Hi leap

youre so close and I can hear you want it so please make that leap!

I used patches and they really got me through the first week. I really used them only for about 3 weeks but if I had needed them for longer would have used them. I see smoking as the problem not NRT. I was here so many times before I quit and everyone supported me with no judgement. This place is great and with all the help here you can do it! 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Slow progress said:

Hi leap

youre so close and I can hear you want it so please make that leap!

I used patches and they really got me through the first week. I really used them only for about 3 weeks but if I had needed them for longer would have used them. I see smoking as the problem not NRT. I was here so many times before I quit and everyone supported me with no judgement. This place is great and with all the help here you can do it! 

Thanks for the encouragement! I totally feel the non-judgement from everyone in the amazing group! I am so inspired by all of you. Since yesterday was a wash today I am challenging myself to go as long as I can between waking up and smoking. 

Did the patch give you side effects? I’m tempted to get some. The lozenges and gum seem to be only moderately  effective for me. I wish vaping counted as NRT (I do know why it doesn’t)!!

• Like 4

I always tell Newbies 

All roads lead to Rome..just get your arse there..

The patch may work for you ,we have had quitters use it ,as long as you stick to the correct dosage.

But there will come a day you still have to go it alone ..

In my 52 years of smoking career.

I tried every quit plan known to man ,costing me tons of money ..

This plan of making the desision ,to never smoke again ..No matter what 

And never putting nicotine in my body ever ..worked 

My addictive brain understood this .

You can do it ..your no more addicted to anyone else here .

• Like 3

The patches worked for me for the first few weeks. Side effects were insomnia and wackadoodle dreams and some skin irritation. Annoying but tolerable. It’s important to follow the instructions. I believe the combo of patches and lozenges helped me get over that first scary hump, before I fully believed that I could quit. It helped to take the edge off, to provide some extra support until I found my bearings and had developed some coping skills.

The crux of any cessation plan - NRT, cold turkey or antidepressants - is how you define whether or not it’s “working.” Nothing completely alleviates the cravings. “No cravings” is simply not a rational  yardstick for success. (It is an addiction wanting to keep getting its fix and freaking out about the anticipated discomfort of not getting it anymore.) A cessation strategy is “working” if it helps us cope with the cravings in some other way than smoking or vaping. So maybe gum and lozenges can “work” better than you think? Cravings come and go, and we learn to deal with them. Their power diminishes as we take our lives back. 

There’s a classic saying that addiction is not about how often someone uses a drug, it’s about the size of the jones… the strength of the compulsion. Secrecy is another classic red flag that what you’ve got is not a bad habit or a simple indulgence. It’s a full blown addiction and needs to be treated accordingly, with compassion and commitment. No half measures or rationing will do.

You wouldn’t be here if some part of you weren’t tired of the bondage, hiding, mental static and physical harm that this addiction is causing for you. Freedom from all that stress is PRICELESS! Pick a method and give quitting a genuine try. You can do this, Leap! 

Edited by DenaliBlues
  • Like 6