New here, just saying hello!

Roland

Roland alcohol was my nemesis aswell when it came to quitting, that's how I always failed the other 100 times so avoided it for a few months to be honest, my quit was far too important for me to throw away, I gradually started drinking again, first of all at home with hubby, I would have just one for the first couple of times and there was no one smoking near me and I couldn't just go to the bar and buy cigs cos I was at home. Then I had two drinks, then three, then we went out for a meal and had a bottle of wine, next time sat in a beer garden near a beach so the view really helped and just had 4 drinks ec

Moral of the story I really went over the top, extremely cautious to keep my quit.

I am not 100% there yet if I'm honest but I am easily 90% there which was unheard of for me before, I was camping recently for a week and every second person was smoking, I hated it during the day but of course sitting outside with half of Ireland having a few drinks and smokes I did get tempted but what I seem to do now is focus on the future not the present when I get an urge, I ask myself if I want to be a smoker tomorrow, do I really want to wake up a smoker again and break my oldest son's heart, the answer is always absolutely not and that always works.

Oh and the urges I rarely get now are nothing compared to the beginning, the only time I think of having one is in those drinking situations and it's just like rationalising with a child, they are not intense full on pain in the bum cravings, just a hmmmmm smome now with me drink would be good, then I say no no it wouldn't.

Sorry rambling away, keep posting, never be afraid or think I don't want to bother them by asking for help, do it, ask 50 times a day if needed, that's what we are here for and we 100% what you to succeed, and you will xx

I may be going out on a limb here, but when drinking causes problems peoples lives, it might be time to stop for a bit and reevaluate.  If drinking is a catalyst for smoking, it's not only causing problems in your life but it's also causing a problem that will kill you.

Personally, I would walk away from the drinking for now and focus on keeping your quit.  You'll gain a lot of insight on your smoking addiction and your drinking once you walk away from alcohol until your quit is stronger.  Everything you did as a smoker you can do as a non-smoker, and that includes drinking, but you must first focus on and protect your quit.

Everything You Did As A Smoker You Can Do As An Ex-Smoker

This video points out that many people don't even attempt to quit because of the fear that they will not only have to give up cigarettes when they quit smoking but also, all of the activities in their lives that they did with cigarettes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqlyAdvafio&index=13&list=PLCDB8BA311D538113

Hi Gang, 

I'm back again and pleased to report my quit is still going strong! 

Last night was a bit of a test, I went out with a new lady friend to a BBQ.

The hosts were friends of hers and I'd never met them before.

They were a really nice couple, the husband was a smoker and I had to laugh when he told me what he did for a living. Turns out he owns 2 tobacconists in the area! lol 

To make a long story short I had a great night, drank a fair bit and didn't cave in to the cravings.

The cravings were there alright but I think it helped having my new lady friend there (she lives a very healthy lifestyle).

While she knows I was a smoker I've avoided smoking in front of her while we've been getting to know each other.

Thanks again for your ongoing support, kind words and videos etc.

I'll try to keep you all posted on my progress.

So far so good, happy days!   :) 

• Like 7