Being around smokers

action

In the beginning, being around smokers was not easy. After a while, it became bearable, until one day it was easier - sometimes (OK, most times) I would watch them light up, or take a drag, or blow smoke through their nose. Sometimes I would observe the whole process from start to finish; not because I really wanted one, but because it was something I had done myself 15+ times a day, for half my life.

This weekend just gone, I helped my parents move their belongings into storage because they are moving to Turkey to retire. I spent the whole weekend with them, and my sister in law too. This weekend was the first weekend where I did not notice them smoking. I can't remember them smoking when we were loading or unloading the van, I can't remember them smoking when we stopped for lunch, I can't remember them smoking when we had a BBQ on Saturday evening. I have no doubt that they were smoking - the ashtray in my garden proves that, because it was full to the brim - but I just cannot for the life of me remember even noticing any smoking related activities going on around me...

I think I may have turned another corner, and I hope this is the case, because it was bloody lovely not thinking about cigarettes, even when people all around me are smoking!!

Any newbies out there who think that they will never be able to stop thinking about smoking, think again - it does happen, and it is awesome ;)

Keep the Quit and NOPE :)

• Like 12

In the beginning, being around smokers was not easy. After a while, it became bearable, until one day it was easier - sometimes (OK, most times) I would watch them light up, or take a drag, or blow smoke through their nose. Sometimes I would observe the whole process from start to finish; not because I really wanted one, but because it was something I had done myself 15+ times a day, for half my life.

This weekend just gone, I helped my parents move their belongings into storage because they are moving to Turkey to retire. I spent the whole weekend with them, and my sister in law too. This weekend was the first weekend where I did not notice them smoking. I can't remember them smoking when we were loading or unloading the van, I can't remember them smoking when we stopped for lunch, I can't remember them smoking when we had a BBQ on Saturday evening. I have no doubt that they were smoking - the ashtray in my garden proves that, because it was full to the brim - but I just cannot for the life of me remember even noticing any smoking related activities going on around me...

I think I may have turned another corner, and I hope this is the case, because it was bloody lovely not thinking about cigarettes, even when people all around me are smoking!!

Any newbies out there who think that they will never be able to stop thinking about smoking, think again - it does happen, and it is awesome ;)

Keep the Quit and NOPE :)

Loved this post Ross.

You certainly have turned the corner....

And what a great place it is......it's called freedom corner....

Well done ....

• Like 1

I find myself analyzing the shit out of people when I see them smoking.

I watch them intensely. Almost to the point of creeping them out.

But it's interesting to visualize them inhaling, watching them relax, how they exhale it only to repeat the whole process over and over again. And then they just flick it off their fingers cause now they are fulfilled.

But what if.......

What if you told them that was gonna be their last cigarette ? I wonder how they would treat it then. I'm sure they would inhale more deeply, keep it in longer, puff it down to the butt. You would be able to see their fear rising. The anxiety.

Or they could just punch you in the face.

Either way, it's nice to know. You can walk away and not think twice about it. They aren't there yet.

I ask people all the time....."have you ever thought about quitting ?" It's amazing the excuses I hear.

• Like 3

That's good to read Action, very pleased for you.

It goes without saying that education has it's part to play but sometimes it's the actual living events that happen, like that, that seal the deal isn't it? You never know when they will happen but when they do it's like OMG! Just brilliant- in fact I'd say priceless ;)

• Like 1

No bother to ye now, it's becoming almost alien like now, watching people smoke, I thought back to the last time I smoked and I can still sort of remember but I feel like I wouldn't know what to do with one if someone gave me a cig.

Flying it so ye are x

• Like 1

That's good Action. I look at people smoking when I smell it. The smell still attracts me. Most of the people I see on the street smoking around here are not younger people but older people, workers, and I think alot about class and smoking.