Greetings

John_Doe

Hello everyone,

Although I chose this nickname for message boards, my real name is Vic (short for Victor). I smoked since I was 16, and now I'm 27 (soon to be 28). I tried to quit numerous times, but I just couldn't succeed. Tried different methods, looked for help in various places. Now I found this one. I believe that only ex-smoker can truly understand what a quitter is going through (as with all the addictions). So I will try again and seek the support. Maybe I will cry, maybe I will be very irritable. But I'm quitting this time for good. It has to stop.

PS. Sorry for my English. It's not my native language.

• Like 2

Hola! Bon Jour! Ciao! :bye:

Welcome to the board! You´ll find members from the four corners of the world in here, with the only purpose to quit smoking, stay quit, and help others do the same, whilst having a bit of a laugh together.

There are lots of information on this site. Read it. Educate yourself about the addiction, about what smoking does to your body, read success stories... The keys to a successful quit are

- Education

- Support

- Determination

We can help with the first two. You have to work on the third one. Are you determined? Then.... keep marching!

Congratulations! Best decision in your life. You´ll see :good3:

• Like 1

Hi and welcome.....

Congrats on quitting at a great young age.....I wish I had done......you clever person.....ok...

Read all you can ,Allen Carr easy way is a good read too,it's helped a lot of people.....

Pledge with us daily....it's a promise you won't smoke that day.....

Take it easy,one day at a time.....don't over think things....keep it simple.....

I was told when I arrived here.....whatever is going on....

Smoking is not on the table ever......this stuck in my mind......

Stay close to the board......

My best

• Like 1

Hey Vic, welcome and good on you for deciding to quit, especially while you are still young, this will be the best thing you could ever do for yourself, check back by 1pm and let us help you, you could start a blog here aswell if you want, it helped alot of people, writing down how you are feeling and seing how much the craves disappear day after day,

Post an sos if you are having a real hard time and they will be like a swarm of bees coming to rescue you,

Here if and when you need us,

Sue xx

• Like 1

I have 2 cigs left, now it's 11:39 am where I live. I'll get some stressful issues out of my way, finish my cancer sticks off and I'm planning to be a non-smoker from 13 pm.

I would recommend you read Allen Carr´s "Easy way to quit smoking". He explains why smokers believe that the cigarette eases stress, whilst this is just a phallacy.

If you are addicted to nicotine, about 20 minutes after the last cigarette your body starts craving. This craving causes discomfort, and stress. You start feeling anxious and focusing on getting the next shot of nicotine asap. This is stressful. Let´s say 50 degrees of stress.

If you are going through a difficult time you get stressed about it. Let´s say you are having financial problems. You receive a bill that you hadn´t accounted for, and your stress level soars. Let´s say this causes you a 100 degree stress level.

You have 150 degrees of stress.... you are desperate to feel better... you are a smoker, so the junkie way out is to smoke. Boom. You smoke and your stress decreases by 50 degrees (the stress caused by the lack of nicotine, by the addiction). But you are still stressed by 100 degrees due to the bill. You may feel that the cigarette has helped your stress, but it has only helped with the self-inflicted stress. Your real problem that stresses you is still there. You have achieved nothing.

It is like the man that wears shoes two sizes too small so that he can take them off every now and then and go "aaaaahhhhhh".

Non-smokers don´t add stress to their lives, and deal better with the normal stresses that life throws at them.

People that wear comfy shoes don´t spend the 24 hours of the day thinking about their feet.

Sorry about the long post. I also thought I smoked because I was a nervous person with a very stressful life. And realising that I was fooling myself was the first step to want to quit this awful addiction.

I wish you success this time. Please stay close to the board and let us know how you are doing.

:)

• Like 1

Hi Vic and welcome!!

Great decision to not smoke anymore :)

Great news you've set the time. Can we help you with what you will do instead when you would smoke? Maybe you could sip water, get some fruit juice too and sip that or you may feel really tired. 

Where are you from? 

whyquit.com is also brilliant to read when you first quit. Lots of information there and pinned at the top of the boards on forums here. 

Welcome in :)

• Like 1

Welcome Vic :)

Read as much as you can and post, education and support is key and if you post we can support you

Lots of different people here, different experiences and personalities all willing to help and support each other

We are all ex smokers, even the admin staff so we have all walked the path 

Congratulations on your quit :)

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the kind words of support. I'm already 1 hour as a non-smoker. And it feels good. It's time to start a "quit" diary/topic.

There are lots of information on this site. Read it. Educate yourself about the addiction, about what smoking does to your body, read success stories... The keys to a successful quit are

- Education

- Support

- Determination

We can help with the first two. You have to work on the third one. Are you determined? Then.... keep marching!

*marches*  :D

I was told when I arrived here.....whatever is going on....
Smoking is not on the table ever......this stuck in my mind......

I'll remember that.

you could start a blog here aswell if you want, it helped alot of people, writing down how you are feeling and seing how much the craves disappear day after day

I'll do it right away in the "quit" section. :)

I would recommend you read Allen Carr´s "Easy way to quit smoking". He explains why smokers believe that the cigarette eases stress, whilst this is just a phallacy.

Yeah, I tried that and was smoke-free for some time. But was too weak and death-sticks won that fight.

Where are you from? 

I'm from Lithuania. I see you're from UK. A lot of people from my country went to yours in a search of a better life :) 

Read as much as you can and post, education and support is key and if you post we can support you

I will :)

• Like 2

Wow 1 hour quit and you can already do the quote thing - that took me months lol.  Congrats on your hour!!

Post as you go if we can help. It really does help to keep talking sometimes and these guys have some good ideas. 

• Like 3

Hi Vic

Responded to your other post before I saw this one.

Glad you are here, this place is your number one tool to help with the mental part of quiting smoking.

As long as your heart and soul is in it to quit smoking, you will be able to do it with very little problems.

Listen to all of the above advice, it is spot on because everyone of us was in your shoes at one point!

Again, very best of luck to you and enjoy your new non smoking life!

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

Although I chose this nickname for message boards, my real name is Vic (short for Victor). I smoked since I was 16, and now I'm 27 (soon to be 28). I tried to quit numerous times, but I just couldn't succeed. Tried different methods, looked for help in various places. Now I found this one. I believe that only ex-smoker can truly understand what a quitter is going through (as with all the addictions). So I will try again and seek the support. Maybe I will cry, maybe I will be very irritable. But I'm quitting this time for good. It has to stop.

PS. Sorry for my English. It's not my native language.

Welcome, Vic!  My late Grandfather's middle name was Victor so cool name.  :)  It's not a very common name these days so whenever I hear it I'm reminded of find memories with him. 

You're at the perfect age to quit smoking.  Now is the time.  Make this your last quit because at your age, you're going to be able to reverse most if not all of the damage that you've done by smoking.  If sometime told me most of the damage I've done could be reversed I'd take it in a heartbeat!

People who've never smoked can't have any idea what we go through as smokers and as non-smokers as we learn to live our lives not smoking.  It definitely is a change but it's all good.  There is not one single bad thing about quitting smoking but there is not one good thing about smoking.  Smoking is all bad.  Every bit of it, despite the lies that it relaxes you, helps you deal with stress and all that nonsense the your inner junkie wants you to believe.

Stay as active as you can around here.  Post what you're going through, your thoughts, feelings, fears, accomplishments and of course, advice.  Just because you're starting a new quit doesn't mean that you don't have anything to offer the rest of us so post and post often.

PS, your English is fine and even if it wasn't, doesn't matter around here.  We're like a melting pot of smokers and non-smokers from around the world.  :)

• Like 1

Welcome Victor,

I see you have already quit, that is awesome!

Stay close to the boards and read, read, read. 

It will help you understand this addiction and also pass the time.

Good luck, and you can do this :)

• Like 1

Welcome Vic!  If I could sum up my quit experience with one sentence it would be that it was not as bad as I thought it would be.  That said, I did a fair amount of crying the first few weeks!!   Just take it one day at a time and before you know it, you won't even care about those nasty old cigs.

Good to have you here.  :)

• Like 2

Welcome Vic :)  Best way to quit is with a network of support.  I never would have quit without it.  I am glad that you are quitting now and not 10 years down the road with a diagnosis of COPD, like me.  The sooner the better.  Spend time reading all the forums on the QT, lots of helpful information and inspiration to be had.  Familiarize yourself with the SOS board, very important.  Social board, lots of distractions there.  Again, Welcome :)

• Like 1

Hi Vic and welcome on board the quit train, remember to stay positive and remember that the crave is really just a junkie thought, do not allow it room to grow or it will take over, NOPE is a very good message to repeat to yourself and pledging every day (although I must admit I am shocking at this as I cannot get onto a pc until late evening , but I always pledge first thing in the morning albeit not here) if you find yourself struggling, just take deep breaths and repeat NOPE every few seconds if you have to, this was my life line in the early days of my quit, anyhoo welcome again and looking forward to sharing your journey,

• Like 1

Hiya Vic !!!!

Welcome to the QT !!!

So how are you doing today ? I am glad to hear you have decided to take your life back. It"s an amazing feeling, isn't it ?

Is that a gas mask for your avatar ?

• Like 1

Where are you from?

How is it going on Day 1?

I'm from Lithuania and Day 1 will be over in ~3 hours. I feel wonderful, although the night was kinda hard. Was waking up all the time.

So how are you doing today ? I am glad to hear you have decided to take your life back. It"s an amazing feeling, isn't it ?

Is that a gas mask for your avatar ?

I'm pretty fine and yes, it's amazing. I'm loving every second of it.

Yeah, it's a gas mask. A new gas mask which prevents me from inhaling the smoke :) I don't know. Just making the stuff up :D

Lithuania is very, I mean VERY hot today. Almost unbearable. Yep, I'm in Vilnius so it's a little bit too far to go to the sea for a relaxing swim. :D Drinking a lot of water and yeah, I have some orange juice stashed :)