metabolism

I used to have a fast metabolism when I was a smoker (I'd put weight on slowly and it came off fast) and it definitely slowed down when I stopped smoking (or it felt like it did ... might just be cause I'm getting older..?) .. even in March/April this year it took me a lot longer to lose weight than before.

I started exercising & calorie counting again on Mon and the weight is just flying off (& the inches), much like it did before I quit ... so is my metabolism returning to what it was before? Or am I just working harder/eating better than I did in Mar/Apr without realising?

Just curious :)

• Like 2

Wait until you get my age. lol

The more active you become, the more your metabolism speeds up.  Your body is also using/needing more calories due to the increase in activity.

To answer your question, it's probably a combination of both.  At first the weight can come off easy but be prepared to hit a plateau.  Once you start losing weight, your metabolism will temporarily go into survival mode and slow down until it gets used to the new normal and will speed back up.  Keep going and don't stop.

If you're seeing that much weight loss in 5 days it's water weight from eating better, less sodium retention etc.  A healthy goal is to lose 2 lbs of fat per week.  Not muscle, fat.  Feed your body well.  You'll burn more calories to retain muscle so the more of it you build or retain is going to pay huge dividends in weight loss (fat loss).

What are you doing for exercise?  I think I saw that you were doing a 30 day shred?  Is that the Jillian Michaels program?

• Like 2

Thanks :) yeah I realise that, just odd that in Mar/Apr the beginning weight loss was slow ... obviously didn't lose much water weight :)

Yeah just doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred at the moment .. I really loved my body shape after doing it last time + I felt stronger :)

• Like 2

I am exercising more than I have in many years.  However, I still feel like my metabolism kind of regulated around the one year mark.  I can now have a cheat meal sometimes (pasta or a burger) without totally disastrous results...

• Like 1

I am exercising more than I have in many years.  However, I still feel like my metabolism kind of regulated around the one year mark.  I can now have a cheat meal sometimes (pasta or a burger) without totally disastrous results...

Nancy, one meal is not going to do that.  If you see any weight a day or two after a meal, it's from water retention and high sodium from the meal. 

• Like 1

Nancy, one meal is not going to do that.  If you see any weight a day or two after a meal, it's from water retention and high sodium from the meal. 

I'm sure you are right, but I really do feel like something has changed in the last couple of months...

• Like 1

Lost 6lbs since Monday! (Always used to be able to lose that much the first week) Yes I know its likely to be water weight but that's fine by me - as long as the scale is going down then I'm happy! :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Today as I drove home from the gym, I passed a Dennys that was packed. I imagined myself eating a big breakfast like waffles and a smoke after. I felt sad. I am not sure why I still think that people who do not watch their diet or who smoke are some how lucky, or more free, or having more fun. Being undisciplined is not more fun! I really don't know why I still have this type of envy. :(

• Like 1

Today as I drove home from the gym, I passed a Dennys that was packed. I imagined myself eating a big breakfast like waffles and a smoke after. I felt sad. I am not sure why I still think that people who do not watch their diet or who smoke are some how lucky, or more free, or having more fun. Being undisciplined is not more fun! I really don't know why I still have this type of envy. :(

^^^^this I totally feel the same way ......I think about others who do not watch what they eat and appear to not care and be happy (they prolly arent but you know) I do feel a bit of jealousy 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lost 10lbs since 14th July, I'm losing a lb a week at the moment which I'm really happy with. I have also lost inches from all over! The dress I want to wear out for my 1 yr anniversary meal now fits :) (although a pound or 2 more will make it look even better).

Edited: 14th July not 24th :)

• Like 3

Curves are good but changing lifestyle to avoid chemo is priceless. Smoking and eating are not connected. Eat your face off if it makes you feel better. Just know the gym won't even it out. Diet is larger than gym.

But smoking kills. And stinks. And waste any time you put in gym with all the negatives risked.

Repeat. Curves are good

• Like 1