First day down

mtbjay

Whew. That was easy. Granted, im "cheating" and using patches, (I never was able to quit cold turkey.) Here's to hoping this quit stays this easy. My last three were horrid.  One day at a time, right?

• Like 6

Hey, brilliant news for you. A great day 1 is a positive thing to get you off the ground and by now, you're into day 2.

For sure one day at a time. But still day 1 is  a massive acheivement :)

Patches aren't cheating, if they help you start then so be it. I think you'd be surprised how much is you over the patches though!! 

So happy for you Jay. Let us know how day 2 is going when you wake. x

Morning Jay :)

Please don't think you're cheating, cheating is having a crafty puff on tobacco smoke. I know two people who used patches as a gateway to their sticky quit, one of which has schizophrenia and even his doctor didn't think he would be able to quit! He owns a 14 year solid quit I'm very pleased to say.

Check in everyday if you can, report how you feel either good, pants or indifferent.... it really can and does help. Well done, your first day is done.

• Like 2

Yep - if you take it one day at a time you will do this - and you are certainly not cheating - you are doing what you need to do ! Keep posting and remember we are here for support if you need it a0d0423989cfe63dbac86525c36d6b54_zpsff34

• Like 1

Way to go Jay!

One day at a time is the way to do it, for sure.  Just make the pledge to yourself, each morning, that you will not smoke, just for today.  It really works :)

Congratulations!

• Like 1

Half way thru day two. Not sure why, but this time it's been very easy thus far. Maybe it's because I truly am sick of smoking and dipping, maybe it's because I have support! Quit train is the place to be! Oh, and Jay is fine. The mtb is short for mountain biking. Cheers all!

• Like 4

Half way thru day two. Not sure why, but this time it's been very easy thus far. Maybe it's because I truly am sick of smoking and dipping, maybe it's because I have support! Quit train is the place to be!

And we are so glad you are here!!!  All Aboard!!

I'm pleased your course is set Jay. It is too hard to continue with that lifestyle so I "get" what you're saying.  Please still update though. If nothing else someone else may see your quit and it inspire them to try or the talking may help you. x

Hey Marti, just because this quit seems easier doesn't mean that I dont need quittrain, or that I'm leaving quittrain! I think it's because of you guys that this is easier. I have accountability now....

• Like 3

Hey Marti, just because this quit seems easier doesn't mean that I dont need quittrain, or that I'm leaving quittrain! I think it's because of you guys that this is easier. I have accountability now....

I totally agree jay

It makes a difference when you have a heap of great folks watching your back....

Plus I know for me....I didn't want to let them down.....

I say to anyone.....stick around and the magic will happen....

Keep climbing.....

• Like 1

Hey Jay - love this post - I know accountability to the board definitely helped me keep my quit ...I had real struggles at one point and support here meant I didn't smoke- plus I didn't want to let people down. Also the quit meter was important for me - I so didn't want to reset it !

• Like 1

Read. Read read

Education on nicotine an what to expect is key. Rewards, nope, triggers.

Learn and you will stay on top.

Good work. I have used the patch and my only advise would be do not do multiple weeks with them. The instructions will give you weeks at each level. The manufactor is in business to sell these things. Once YOU feel YOU can make it a day without them, be it two days or two weeks from now,, then rip it off and start your healing faster. Use them as crutch as Lon as needed but realize they are a slow torture to your addiction to nicotine. Once nicotine use stops, it's amazing how fast you get through the hard part.

• Like 4

I agree with Bakon. Take this time during the easy part and educate yourself on the dangers of smoking, how to maintain a quit and how to combat the lies that smoking has convinced you of. It's all about education and reprogramming the brain.

Stay close to the board.....we love to hear from you. It's all a mindset and you seem to have an awesome one. And your right, it does keep you accountable. I truly think that's what saved me yesterday.

Welcome to QT !!! And I'm glad to be taking this journey with you. You CAN DO IT !!!!

• Like 2

Read. Read read

Education on nicotine an what to expect is key. Rewards, nope, triggers.

Learn and you will stay on top.

Good work. I have used the patch and my only advise would be do not do multiple weeks with them. The instructions will give you weeks at each level. The manufactor is in business to sell these things. Once YOU feel YOU can make it a day without them, be it two days or two weeks from now,, then rip it off and start your healing faster. Use them as crutch as Lon as needed but realize they are a slow torture to your addiction to nicotine. Once nicotine use stops, it's amazing how fast you get through the hard part.

I have read that a lot, that nic patches are slow torture, but every time i tried just stopping cold turkey, i couldn't handle it. I made a huge mistake on one of my quits, i made it two weeks with the patches. (I use one step a week, three weeks total, I understand that nicotine takes about three days to be gone, so i figure more than three to five days on a patch is overkill, your already adjusted to the lower levels...), 

Anyway, back to that last quit i was talking about...

I made it two weeks, actually two and a half. By that time, on step three of the patches, the withdrawals were SO easy at that point. It was a walk in the park. I made a fatal mistake and had just one smoke to say "goodbye", cause i knew it was over, i had this quit in the bag.  Stupid, stupid, stupid. In no time flat, i lost that quit. Not this time though.....

• Like 2

Way to go Jay...a couple days smoke free is a couple more than if you hadn't made the choice to quit..  :)  but..you are right..1 day at a time!

Just remember..with or without the patch, you may have bad days...you just have to .."keep your eye on the prize"  :)

• Like 1

I made a fatal mistake and had just one smoke to say "goodbye", cause i knew it was over, i had this quit in the bag.  Stupid, stupid, stupid. In no time flat, i lost that quit. Not this time though.....

I think I may have read it on another forum...or one of the members here had it in their sig. line, but this always stuck with me....and you just proved it to be true...

"I am just 1 puff away from a pack a day habit!"

you dont owe the addiction any courtesies ...just turn you back on it and walk away...no good byes ...instead, good riddance!  :)

• Like 5