Triggers after you quit

Jenny

Throughout your quit you are likely to be faced with events that bring thoughts of smoking back to the forefront of your mind.  I've been quit nearly two years (28 year smoker)  and while it does not happen often, it still happens. Not like when you first quit and craving a cigarette can be a whole body experience, but more of a thought.  Your mind after so many years of smoking has been conditioned to think that a cigarette is what you need when you are stressed, mad, sad and even happy.  We told ourselves lies for so many years to justify the need to get our fix.  We allowed ourselves to believe that a cigarette helped us in these situations.  Of course it didn't.  It was just the addiction talking.  We just needed nicotine and no justification for that was deemed ridiculous, even though it was.   In the words of a wonderful woman named Susan, a thought to smoke is never a command.  Remember why you quit and push those thoughts away.  Always keep the quit.

• Like 1

well said jenny 

since my 3rd month I seem to have a lot of these thoughts mainly due to circumstances at home, im fully aware of my junkie mind and that I am in complete control but im painfully aware that I can also be weak and I am currently re educating myself and re affirming as relapse is NOT an option no matter what the circumstance and I will not commit QUIT suicide because I couldnt be bothered anymore as this is how I have felt on occasions recently 

• Like 1

Throughout your quit you are likely to be faced with events that bring thoughts of smoking back to the forefront of your mind.  I've been quit nearly two years (28 year smoker)  and while it does not happen often, it still happens. Not like when you first quit and craving a cigarette can be a whole body experience, but more of a thought.  Your mind after so many years of smoking has been conditioned to think that a cigarette is what you need when you are stressed, mad, sad and even happy.  We told ourselves lies for so many years to justify the need to get our fix.  We allowed ourselves to believe that a cigarette helped us in these situations.  Of course it didn't.  It was just the addiction talking.  We just needed nicotine and no justification for that was deemed ridiculous, even though it was.   In the words of a wonderful woman named Susan, a thought to smoke is never a command.  Remember why you quit and push those thoughts away.  Always keep the quit.

This is an example of exposing the lies of smoking.  The more lies that are exposed, the more courage people will have to ditch this deadly addiction.

Awesome post!

Hey Tracey. Upheaval at home is tough, and you are doing absolutely the right thing. Keep reading and educating and posting. 

When you can't be bothered - remember that I can be bothered and am more than happy to give you a firm size 10 on the derriere :angry: 

You have a great quit going and have been a real leader for me and others..you just keep on going! :D  

• Like 1

Hey Tracey. Upheaval at home is tough, and you are doing absolutely the right thing. Keep reading and educating and posting. 

When you can't be bothered - remember that I can be bothered and am more than happy to give you a firm size 10 on the derriere :angry:

You have a great quit going and have been a real leader for me and others..you just keep on going! :D  

you been hanging around me too long lol keep them size 10 on the floor :) I know you got my back ;) as we have yours thanks x

well said jenny 

since my 3rd month I seem to have a lot of these thoughts mainly due to circumstances at home, im fully aware of my junkie mind and that I am in complete control but im painfully aware that I can also be weak and I am currently re educating myself and re affirming as relapse is NOT an option no matter what the circumstance and I will not commit QUIT suicide because I couldnt be bothered anymore as this is how I have felt on occasions recently 

Thinking of you Tracey, We often cannot control the chaos in our lives but we can control our reaction to it.  Congrats on sticking to N.O.P.E 

Tracey, I am sorry to hear there is trouble on the home front, I also know you are aware smoking won't solve it or change it. However if a friendly ear can help I am happy to lend it. xx

thank you marti thats really kind xx

I just went through a period of cravings that was troubling. I think it is better now. I was surprised to get these after six months. Really I am having trouble distinguishing how I am feeling. I crave for sugar? A cigarette? A plug for the whole in my psyche? I wonder if it is related to a change in seasons? I know there is no physical cigarette that is going to satisfy this itch. This is mental.

• Like 1

I just went through a period of cravings that was troubling. I think it is better now. I was surprised to get these after six months. Really I am having trouble distinguishing how I am feeling. I crave for sugar? A cigarette? A plug for the whole in my psyche? I wonder if it is related to a change in seasons? I know there is no physical cigarette that is going to satisfy this itch. This is mental.

It probably is the change in seasons and you have had a bit of stress as well haven't you?  At work?  It's good you see it's a mental thing.  You're right a cigarette will do nothing for you.  I've had to repeat those words often lately.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

We allowed ourselves to believe that a cigarette helped us in these situations.  Of course it didn't.  It was just the addiction talking.  We just needed nicotine and no justification for that was deemed ridiculous, even though it was.  

Ridiculous is the word!!!  I observe my BF in his early quit (2 months on the first of May).  He creates the most cockamamie, & convoluted mental schemes in order to justify taking a drag.  After he presents these ideas he sort of smirks because he knows he sounds absurd.  Thinks he can pull one over on me??  Sorry Love, I know EXACTLY what you're doing.

:diablo:

• Like 1