How do I quit smoking cigarettes?

TAC

A very wise man once said - do not put things in your mouth and set them on fire. That would be a good start. But seriously, I believe that anyone who WANTS to quit, can quit.

You quit too George, you know as much as I do ;)

• Like 2

I think if you really want to quit you will find a way, joining a support site is the best way as you get real education and advice from real addicts with no hidden agendas like trying to make money out of them

the rest you will find your own method and path that suits you - and you keep trying until you do find the right way :)

• Like 4

I would tell him to first just stop smoking and then point him here so we can all help him.  Remove the desire smoke and it becomes much easier.  Suggest Allen Carr etc.

George, I think you know more than you think about quitting.  I think your words of wisdom how you were able to quit will go a long way with your friend.  He asked you because he wants your help.  :)

• Like 2

A close friend asked me that question the other day.

I didn't have a clue what to tell him.

You stop by not having a desire to smoke anymore.

you stop by having support from others who stopped but asked that same question as your friend.

You stop by getting educated not only on the bad effects of smoking, but also the good.

Tell him he'll have support facing the addiction.

Tell your friend it's not so mucn how to stop as it is when to stop.

When is now, how is to want to and not do it again....NOPE..............Bassman

• Like 2

You want to know how to quit smoking? I mean all you really want is for it to get better, correct? When will it get better?

You can conjure up a quit out of thin air, and that's exactly how it is done. Your wish becomes a desire, your desire becomes reality, a sort of a perception is reality mind game. That's one thing to remember, that this is a mind game. What keeps you motivated is the same thing that keeps you not smoking in the middle of all of your friends/mates who puff away around you. You will stand right in the midst of them and you will not cave. All you need is to have a plan and execute it.

Have some patience with yourself; you didn't get this way in 3 days, 5 days, and 30 days. It will get better. Flying by the seat of your pants is also an option, but at some point in time you need to hold yourself accountable and commit to your quit in the face of all obstacles you face and the temptations you may have. You can do it.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Commitment and a desire to quit. If you want to, you can. If you believe you will fail, you probably will. Believe in your quit and protect it with all your might, regardless of what happens. 

• Like 1