Quitting attempt number 5?

Hello Everyone,

I am very new to posting in forums, blogs etc. However, I was doing some research and most successful quits were done so with the help of an on-line community. Please bare with me, I am a rookie. 

A little about me. I am 24 years old and I have been smoking on and off since I was about 16 years of age. Into my 20's I would only smoke about 3 a day. I wouldn't necessarily say I am a heavy smoker however a smoker none the less.

The past year I have been wanting to quit more than any other time in my life. I have cut it down to 1 a day or even 1 a week. However, I can never rid the habit all together. The longest I have gone is 1 month. This was just this past June. I am Now smoke free for two days and plan to follow through.

I have attempted to quit multiple times throughout the past year. However, my weakness is stress. Once I feel an ounce of stress or boredom I turn to tobacco. I also fear weight gain. I have some how associated quitting smoking with weight gain, although I am a very active person. (2 hours a day in the gym).  

My boyfriend, an ex smoker for about 6 years now, was a pack a day smoker and quit. How is it that even though I do not smoke that much or even crave it, I still can't let the habit go?

• Like 5

Hi Slovenka!!  You did the first big step...you joined the forum.  Shows a level of committment there.

The answer to your question....simple.  It's not a habit.  It's an addiction.  Addictions work in very sneaky ways. 

sometimes the 3 pack a day smoker has it easier...because they are the first to admit they are addicted.  Where as, a smoker who smokes off and on still isn't there yet.  The mindset is still thinking "i can control it"  Obviously...that's not true or you wouldn't be here.

We take NOPE..one day at a time.  Not One Puff Ever. 

Take a look around the forum...there is alot of information here for you.  Ask questions...post...and stick to it.

Glad to have you here...welcome!!!

• Like 3

welcome aboard   congrats on 2 days  smoking is an addiction to nicotine even if its just one smoke a day  you can beat this  I used hard candy and posted a lot read a lot learn all you can about nicotine keep busy  working out 2 hr a day at the gym is great  if you think you might smoke post a sos asking for help some one  will be here to help and congrats again on quitting at such a young age  hang in there youll be glad you did read the newbie package  or gom to why qwuit . com a lot of good info there   as well as here the first 2 weeks are the hardest  you can do it though we are here to help :D

• Like 3

Welcome Aboard Slovenka!

Best decision you have ever made - Getting on the Quit Train.

Stress.

You get it. I get it. Everyone gets it. Here's the newsflash - smoker or non-smoker, you will get stressed. Difference is, as a non-smoker, you are better-equipped to deal with it. When you feel stressed. Punch a pillow. Post here. Just don't smoke. We will be here for you.

Weight gain. I gained a bit. Now I am losing a lot. Kill the ciggies first, then we can do the weight thing..

Welcome! Read - and post. You Got this!

• Like 4

I think you made a fabulous decision to join a forum, it does seem to help to have people around who understand what you are saying.

The stress thing, yeah it pushes the ex smokers buttons, addictions are sneaky that way! Even if you think all is well it's still kinda lurking behind the scenes ready to say it'll help the stress, or it's only one...sound familiar?...

A forum will help two fold, you can get information about what smoking really is, how dangerous it really is, we are playing health and financial roulette without realizing. But as much as that, the time for me I would have smoked, I came here and posted a message. Some was help meeee's, some was my trying to understand the addiction, I actually think one was for perfume lol. Or I played the games I understand in the social section. Then the craving has gone and I am still free. I think a lot of folks do the same as that from what I can see. 

So chat/post, tell us what you thin we can use to help you if you post and ask for our help with a crave? 

Also, advice for what it's worth, get a list of other things you can do when you get stressed.

Welcome! x

• Like 3

Welcome Slovenka!

You are in the right place! We all know how tricky this addiction can be.

Like the others have said read as much as you can here and/or at why quit.com

Knowledge is power. You can do it!

• Like 3

Welcome!!!

We are addicts, even if we only smoke a little bit.  :( So that is why you have difficulty staying quit.  

The good news is that you can go days, months, and the rest of your life without ever smoking again.  Commit to NOPE and keep a positive upbeat attitude.  And although there may be a couple of rough spots here and there, you will be so very happy you have quit!  :)

Check out Scott's success story.  I'll get the link in a second.  :)

• Like 1

Hi and welcome aboard....

Congrats on your quit.....I wish I had quit at your young age.....

My advice is too read all you can here....and more.....join in with the folks here.....

Pledge n.o.p.e every day.....

You will get all the support you need here.....

Most important.....never stick anything in your mouth and set fire to it.....

You can do it.....

My best.

• Like 2

The Sarge finds it better to not attempt to quit but to actually, y'know, quit.

Welcome aboard The Quit Train.

Keep your hands and arms inside the car at all times. Secure loose items. Strap in, hold on, and enjoy the ride!

X2XL3qq.jpg

Easy Peasy

• Like 5

great advice from the good folks above

believe in yourself

always look forward not backwards

keep reading and posting here

never be afraid to ask for help

congratulations and welcome to the board :)

• Like 1

Congratulations and welcome to the board. I can relate to your post as I went through a phase, many years ago, of limiting myself to just 4 a day...would have the 'well at least I can have 4, better than facing the thought of none!' Read up, chat to people and do whatever you need to do to get your head straight, that life will be ok without the 3 and in time will be better than you can ever imagine....I promise you.

• Like 1

Welcome Slovenka!  You have received excellent advice above.  I would take tiny sips of water and deep breaths.  That seemed to help me through a crave.   Just remember NOPE - Not One Puff Ever - just for today! 

• Like 1

Welcome and congratulations!!

To answer your question (in my opinion) - it doesn't really matter how many or how long you smoked for... It's being addicted to the nicotine that's the problem. That is why every time you have just one, you are reigniting the withdrawal, and the need for another hit.

It's easy to stop smoking, we all did it many, many times... It's staying stopped that's the trick. Now that you have found us, I am hoping that your journey will be a little easier. And you've got your boyfriend too, he should be able to help :)

Welcome to the family :)

• Like 1

Welcome!

Please read the newbie package, it's so helpful.  Remember, every single one of us have been where you are. 

We know exactly what you are going through, and here to help you cross over to the other side, to freedom.

It took me 4 quits to get it right.   Some people are lucky enough to make it stick the first time, but not me.

We are here for you, congrats on what may in fact be the most important decision of your life.  If you can make it a day, you can do anything!  I remember when just the thought of having to go for a day without cigs had me running for my pack.  I went on a business trip last year that was 2 days, and I think I stressed for 2 months before hand about how I wasn't going be able to smoke.  (Closet smoker.) 

Life is so much better smoke free.  Might not be all peaches and cream at the very beginning but the discomfort is so temporary. 

Half the battle is deciding to quit, now just hold on to us, we'll keep you up :)

• Like 4

Late to the party again - and you have already been given great advice - so I will just say welcome and hope you stay close to the board and take what support you need ! a0d0423989cfe63dbac86525c36d6b54_zpsff34

• Like 1

Made it through the weekend :) Lets just hope I can keep going! 

Do not hope for anything.... make it happen and know it will happen.... quitting takes a bit of bada**ness.  You can do this... alot of weaker people have made it.  Push forward...it will only get easier. 

You got this... keep on keepin on.

• Like 1