Where are all the Newbies ???

Oh, me three on the Coca Cola! Nicotine and caffeine sort of balanced each other out in my bloodstream. Now that I am nicotine free, I am way more susceptible to racing pulse (and thoughts) if I knock back too much Coke, or anything else with caffeine. I now ration myself to one “baby” Coke per day… those little bitty 7oz cans. I may eventually have to quit those too, if the caffeine makes me too zingy. But one thing at a time!

• Like 1

When I smoked I drank a couple Dr. Peppers daily. After I quit and my taste buds came back the flavor changed and I quit drinking them. Its been years now since I've had a Dr Pepper.

I also naturally went down from two cups of coffee to just one and sometimes just a half a cup.

@GusI never had abstinence symptoms from the Coke that I can remember. Not sure it even crossed my mind as a possibility. The hard part for me was walking past the isles in the store without getting that 1,5 L I had drunk every day for a few years. Perhaps I was lucky in that I hadn't drunk that much for a long time, so it hadn't established itself that hard in mind or body. After that I longed for waking up one morning and not wanting a cigarette either 😂

@DenaliBluesI'm not sure caffeine and nicotine has balanced itself out in my body, but I've pitied my CNS for years! What hell I have put it through! Changing that now, though, and trying to change my view from stop beating myself up for these 25 years, to 'better late than never'. Right now the focus is nicotine, but coffee will probably go as well in time. Don't think that will be too hard, as I've had periods the last year with only one cup with no problem. Take your time with the Coke, while respecting how your body reacts to it.

@jillarThat's what I'm hoping will happen to me, just a natural decrease. I don't have a particular goal of being 100% caffeine free, but going down to one cup or less wouldn't be amiss. Or just switching to tea or something. It's the *I need that cup of coffee!!!* that irritates me!

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

I relapsed after my last quit.
Made two weeks, but at that point my self-pity was immense. I was picking garbage on the road ride. I really was suffering from self-comiseration.

I stopped coming here because I re-started smokiing so I felt embarassed to come here. and that seems like a mind-lie.

I notice that while reading the posts in the forum, some words/phrases have a special shine, that calls my attention(and other users). I think writing them down may , the words, sound reasonable. 

There is also talk about having faith in ourselves. That is a nice direction and should be explored more. So far, the practice of the faith-of-not-smoking seems to be writing down NOPE.

My wish, my wish is to come up with a mantra. Reading this forum, seeing the material, reading, is important. Now the aspect of faith is not being explored.

A mantra that helps, through recitation, to fixate and bring to awareness the shines we get from our studies here (and elsewhere). Faith into action - call it that way.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Pedro said:

Now the aspect of faith is not being explored.

I beg to differ Pedro, each and everyone of us have had faith that what those that came before us are saying is true. 

As far as mantras go, I used to tell myself over and over again that "this too shall pass". And " All good(?) things must come to and end". 

• Like 4

“Freedom from the bondage of nicotine” and “NOPE Not One Puff Ever” have been really important ideas for me. I’ve used different mantras at different points in my quit (as my relationship with the cravings evolved). Find whatever works for you and share it here, @Pedro. It’s bound to help someone else along the way! 

• Like 4

• 9 months later...

Hi, I'm a newbie and I'm wanting to quit smoking by initially using NRT patches. I'm not familiar with how to use this site yet and so any tips would be welcome. At the moment I woke up and smoked, getting fed up with myself for lacking 'grit', have put on a Step 1 patch and found this forum...thank you for being here. 

• Like 7

@Icandothis2well hello and welcome aboard.  you can do this.  all you really need to do is follow the rules.  If using patches or gums helps you follow those rules then by all means do whatever you feel is necessary.  That being said, the quitting is simple but not easy and I don't think there is an easy way out of this.  Anyway, here are the rules.  Stick to them and you cannot help but to quit.

Rule 1.  Don't smoke

Rule 2.  When in doubt, refer to Rule 1.

• Like 7

Hi @Icandothis2. Welcome aboard the Quit Train. Glad you are fed up with smoking! That's great energy you can channel into a successful quit.

Mornings are tough because while you've been sleeping your brain has been deprived of nicotine for a long time. So it's desperate for a fix. Many quitters find it useful to establish a new morning routine to help disrupt those old habits and associations.

I, too, quit using patches. I would put on a fresh patch every morning, but the skin absorption is a slow release. So early in my quit I would also sometimes use a lozenge to get through that hard morning time without smoking. Using nicotine replacement therapy (NRT, patches, gum, lozenges) can extend withdrawal... the longer you keep nicotine in your body, the longer your brain receptors will stay programmed to crave it. However, I still found NRT to be a useful tool. After 40+ years of smoking, It got me over the hump of the worst initial phase  while I built up some other coping mechanisms to support my quit. Then I tapered down the NRT aggressively and used other methods to manage the final withdrawal. Everybody ultimately finds their own unique combination of tools, tips and tricks. Bottom line, do whatever it takes to not smoke. Any quit that sticks is a good quit!

Withdrawal is tough, but it's temporary. If you stick with it, it gets MUCH better on the other side. Stay busy. And stick close to this forum. Joining a  community like this can make a huge difference because of the positive reinforcement and the good information you can pick up. We're here to help! 

Post a lot - let us know how you're doing and let us know what questions arise. Learn all you can about this addiction. When I quit, I spent hours reading everything I could in the "Quit Smoking Discussions" and "SOS" sections of this site. Knowledge is power - power you can use to finally be FREE!

• Like 8

Welcome @Icandothis2 you are making a decision that will change your life for sure, congrats and you have come to the right place for support. I did not use NRT's, but I had some at the ready. 

The Nicotine is gone from your body in about three days, so I figured if I made it 3 days the physical symptoms would be over and from then on just have to deal with the mental part of the addiction, so far it worked for me. 

I would also recommend Allen Carrs book, (The Easy Way) it was a big help to me in understanding the addiction. 

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Smoking-Without-Willpower/dp/178404542X/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=MST9683RZGO8&keywords=alan+carr+easy+way+to+quit+smoking&qid=1707062491&sprefix=alan+carr+%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Edited by overcome
  • Like 7

Welcome to the train @Icandothis2. You're making a wise decision to quit smoking and get your freedom back. We have a ton of info here to help you and if you can't find an answer to a question you have then just post and ask us. Chances are good someone has experienced the same thing and can give you a clue ☺

Check out the pinned posts in the main forum for starters. We also have a video section if that's more your thing.

No shame in using NRTs just remember not to use them while you're smoking as its very dangerous....

• Like 7

Hi @Icandothis2! You have been given lots of good advice by others. I'd just like to add that once you quit, get rid of any cigs you still have and for that matter, ashtrays lighters etc. You can't smoke what you don't have. Hanging on to a few cigs while you quit is just asking for trouble. Make a steadfast commitment not to smoke.

Quitting is simple but not easy. The simple part is 'just don't smoke'; no matter what.

No matter how difficult quitting may be at times, quitting never killed anyone. The same can't be said for those who continue to smoke. Hang around here and let us help you to take back your life.

Edited by Reciprocity
  • Like 7

Hi @Icandothis2

Welcome!! We are very glad you found us.  I am a newbie too, I am quit 8 months, 2nd and LAST time for me!  I don't have any experience with the patch or any of the NRT's, but there are others who have done it with that.  I started this quit with the weaning method which was the worst thing I could have done.  I was constantly in perpetual withdrawal.  The people on here told me to just take the plunge and give up cigs totally which I did about 2 days later. I'm not gonna lie and say it was easy, because it wasn't.  For me it was very difficult, as I had a lot of withdrawal symptoms for about 2-3 months.  I came on here every single day, and still do, and vented and complained.  The people on this board are so great, and they have become my friends!  You can do it, it will take some work, but in the long run it will be so worth it!  After 8 months, I don't get many urges, and when I do, it lasts a few seconds and then it passes.  It certainly isn't like it was back in the beginning.  Go for it @Icandothis2, because YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Everyone on this board is living proof and several are quit for many years and even a decade! We were ALL addicted to smoking and have given it up, so we know EXACTLY what you are going through.  Quitting isn't easy, that's for sure, some may have it a little easier than others, but I doubt anyone on here will say "ohh quitting is a piece of cake", I really doubt it.  It takes a lot of patience and stamina, but the longer you go without a cig, the easier it gets.  I can promise you that, as I'm sure many of the others on here can attest to. After a while, not smoking will be "your norm"!😁 Go for it, and I wish you all the best of luck!  Please stay close to the train and it's riders are all here to help you!!😁

• Like 7

Welcome aboard @Icandothis2. All of the above advice is spot on. I quit by using the patch. I have severe anxiety issues and suffer from panic attacks. The patch helped me cope. I started at stage 2 and did that for a few weeks and dropped down to stage 1 and used that until the day I forgot to put one on. lol The patch did take the edge off for me. I was still a mess mind you. For a week I wouln’t go out in public. But I survived. Everyone here did. Quitting smoking is totally doable and the main thing you can do is to stick close to this site and reach out as needed. I’ll be rooting for you and we hope to hear from you soon!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

hey all.

im not in my best state now because relapsed aand here-I-am---- or should I say nevertheless I am here!

I do want to say something. Everything is possible. & hardly we ever realize that we can cut anything out of our lives in the blink on an eye.

It not about being doable or not doable. easy or hard. it is what it is . what is easy? what is not-easy?? blessing or curse? dualism type thinking.! just resolve to quit smoking, intend it, use techniques like throwing all apparatus of smoking away. 

our lives never depended on smoking; never did, never will. - this might be a good mantra.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Breath-of-Power said:

hey all.

im not in my best state now because relapsed aand here-I-am---- or should I say nevertheless I am here!

I do want to say something. Everything is possible. & hardly we ever realize that we can cut anything out of our lives in the blink on an eye.

It not about being doable or not doable. easy or hard. it is what it is . what is easy? what is not-easy?? blessing or curse? dualism type thinking.! just resolve to quit smoking, intend it, use techniques like throwing all apparatus of smoking away. 

our lives never depended on smoking; never did, never will. - this might be a good mantra.

Many, many people aren't successful on their first try or even more tries. There's no shame in trying and falling back unless you just stay there and you don't make a new commitment to quit once you've gathered yourself together again.

The key is NOT to give up trying and you must learn from your mistakes and think about how you will make better decisions next time you find yourself in a simlar situation. When you're a smoker you're addicted to nicotine so yes ... throw away all smoking material so they're not within easy reach. Understand that what quitting smoking actually involves is breaking that link in your mind between smoking & all you're daily situations. That takes quite awhile and a lot of repetition before you are mentally over relying on smokes time and time again each & every day.

Firstly you need to make that unbreakable commitment to yourself to quit. Then take things just one day at a time as you fight those cravings to smoke. Trust me, that intense craving for a smoke lessens over time. Staying smoke free each & every day MUST be absolute top of mind in order not to cave in to the cravings.

Quitting is a marathon, not a sprint. Treat it that way and be patient, one day at a time!

Edited by Reciprocity
  • Like 3