Depression setting in

Sunshine

Woke up this morning with such a feeling of emptiness and it has lingered all morning. Can't figure out why I feel so bad. It's as if I can't get motivated to do anything at all but sit and stare at four walls. I managed to put on a pot of chicken soup hoping that brings some comfort. Showered and it helped a little. Feeling a bit anxious also. I have no intention of smoking but need to get past this feeling. Maybe reading and watching videos will help. Then I get angry for feeling so down. Been doing some deep breathing as it does relieve some of the tension. I will keep reading and learning about this addiction. Just feel so out of it for some reason. Feel better just venting. Thanks for listening

• Like 3

Hi and thanks for reaching out. Very common. Instead of fighting the feelings, thinking you should be somewhere else other than where you are, why not accept this is just part of the gig? Allen Carr reminds us that withdrawal (and all of the emptiness that comes up after release of our "best friend") is a sign of the disease leaving us. It is cause for celebration.

Go easy on yourself; know that feelings are not facts. Know that you will feel very out of it for perhaps a long time. And this is a good thins since (our) normal was using a deadly substance every day all day to exist.

Edited by KEL
  • Like 8

I agree 100% with what @KEL said sunshine. It IS normal to have those feelings. Most of us either feel depressed or angry when quitting. And definitely anxious. You have to learn what to do with yourself and all the free time you have now, that's part of the anxiety. But the good thing is that it's all temporary and with time quit will pass. You're doing great :) 

• Like 7

Sunshine try and find says to relax ...Deep breathing exercises....

I found Qi Gong ....I swear by it ,and still practice it today ....check it out on YouTube ....

Also I danced around with my music very high in my iPod ....it got me through in the beginning ...

• Like 7

Thanks jillar. I think part of my problem is impatience. Expecting things just to move right along instead of dealing with the process. But the more I read the better informed I become. This is not an overnight ordeal. Thanks for the encouragement 😀

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I think part of my problem is impatience. Expecting things just to move right along instead of dealing with the process. 

Good news Sunshine: those of us on the more impatient side can successfully quit smoking...A fact that I am quite thankful for.

In fact, the process of quitting taught me some valuable lessons about patience and delayed gratification.  

The process will reward you many times over when you stay the course.

• Like 6

@SunshineI know exactly what you are feeling.  I had to live with those same feelings myself.  I'll break down what I finally accepted.  First, when you started smoking you changed your way of life to accommodate it.  There was no goal to smoking.  You didn't start smoking with the idea of reaching an end somewhere.  But you quit smoking with the idea that there is an end to it.  There isn't.  You are changing your way of life.  That long ass road that you see in front of you is just life.  It's the same road that always was there and the goal isn't to get to the end of it.  The goal is to take in the scenery as you walk it.  In short, the journey is the destination so enjoy the journey and embrace it.  Hopefully this helps, I'm sure I'm not very clear.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

Thanks jillar. I think part of my problem is impatience. Expecting things just to move right along instead of dealing with the process. But the more I read the better informed I become. This is not an overnight ordeal. Thanks for the encouragement 😀

Hi Sunshine.  Quitting is not a quick event.  You are re-learning how to live your life without cigarettes, something that was a huge part of your life for a long time.  What you are going through is normal for a lot of quitters.

Think of quitting as a journey as you are re-learning how to live your life as a non-smoker.  In retrospect, a lot of quitters, myself included, look back at the first few months as a positive and growing experience, even if we felt depressed, empty, miserable, etc. at the time.

You are doing great, even if it doesn't feel that way right now.  Keep up the great work, things will improve with time.

• Like 5