A True Story

Bassman

The end of last October my son in law’s dad had a seizure while my daughter and her husband Derek were visiting him and Derek’s mom. They called an ambulance and after several hours, Derek’s dad was diagnosed with stage 4 bone cancer. After a few days of test, it was determined he had quite a few bones with cracks and the doctor could not understand why he hadn’t complained let alone been able to walk around and go to work. Derek’s dad’s response was that he didn’t want to take any attention away from his mother who’s life was deteriorating. Derek’s dad was a compulsive chain smoker. I know every time I saw him he spent more time outside smoking than indoor not smoking.  

They set up the time frame to start his chemotherapy and radiation. It was during this time Derek’s grandmother was placed in hospice. It was no big surprise because she had been deteriorating for some time. Two days after his grandmother was in hospice, Derek’s dad’s had the seizure and was rushed to the hospital with his wife, Derek and my daughter following the ambulance. By the end of the day, the doctor said there was no hope for him and he was place in hospice two rooms down from his mother. Two days later Derek’s grand mother passed away. The next day my daughter called and said if I wanted to see Derek’s dad before he passes, I had better come now so my wife and I went to the hospice for a last visit. He was sleeping. Derek’s mother, his sister and older brother were there.  We visited for an hour and left, three hours later Derek’s dad passed away, only two days after his grandmother. It was a terrible time for their family.

The next day Derek’s 42 year old brother went to the hospital for stomach pains and by the next day he was diagnosed with stage 4 rectal cancer and they also found it in his liver, he too was a smoker. Needless to say it put the family in triple shock.  Loosing a grandmother, Dad/ husband within two days and now a son/brother with cancer in his body. 

Just now my daughter texted me reminding me it was 10 years ago today I started my chemotherapy from my cancer, and Derek’s brother started his chemotherapy today………..which is his birthday.

The day Derek’s dad passed away, my daughter quit her smoking, she had been smoking for 17 years, and her husband Derek quit his tobacco chewing. They have both been nicotine free about two months now.  It hasn’t been easy for my daughter but she knows she can’t smoke again. To help with her quit smoking emotions, I got her a tee shirt for Christmas that says, “I’m only talking to my dog today”…She loved it.

Last year my dad passed away at 88 years old, he too was a smoker too but quit when he was 40. My mother passed away at age 47 from cancer while she was a smoker…..

Next week I will be 8 years smoke free after 37 years of smoking.  It has been a blessing since I quit, though I didn’t quit till two years after my cancer operation. I have made a difference in my future as well as my wife’s and daughters future by quitting…..

My daughter’s two girls are so happy their mom and Derek quit smoking/chewing, we can make a difference and change our own future as well as others……

Let 2022 be the year that made a difference in your and others lives………Bassman

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Dear @Bassman, I'm so sorry for all the suffering and loss your family has gone through in such a short time. And so glad that your daughter and Derrick are not letting their deaths be in vain and have quit. I hope you tell them about our community of quitters in case they need/want some support through their journeys.

Congratulations on almost 8 years quit and I'm so glad that you are doing so well yourself...

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, jillar said:

Dear @Bassman, I'm so sorry for all the suffering and loss your family has gone through in such a short time. And so glad that your daughter and Derrick are not letting their deaths be in vain and have quit. I hope you tell them about our community of quitters in case they need/want some support through their journeys.

Congratulations on almost 8 years quit and I'm so glad that you are doing so well yourself...

Thanks jillar, my daughter is aware of the help available but says she needs to do this on her own. I will support her on that though this support community would be a good asset for her. I hope she’ll change her mind if needed…..Bassman

• Like 4

@Bassman Thank you for sharing this story.  You have given us proof positive that we doing this for the right reasons. It is not just about our health but also the other people in our lives. It will help so many give up smoking and giving others the encouragement to save their life.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Kris said:

@Bassman Thank you for sharing this story.  You have given us proof positive that we doing this for the right reasons. It is not just about our health but also the other people in our lives. It will help so many give up smoking and giving others the encouragement to save their life.

You got it Kris…..each have our own reason or reasons. Many give their own reason for not quitting is they don’t care about their own health but no one starts out smoking for the sole reason to destroy their health, it’s a common misconception for a reason to continue smoking……it’s due to the addiction. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

Good to see you again Bassman ...I just wish it was under better circumstances.....

Your Family is going through a lot ...

Sending a Hug from across the Pond ....❤️

Thanks much Doreen, great to hear from you too. While yes it is sad family news, I hope it can help someone else to not get to this point…..Bassman

• Like 2