Stress Starting to Lessen

Katgirl

The last few days I noticed my stress level has gone down a bit. I am chronically anxious, so noticed immediately that my mood was a bit lighter. Then I found an article that stated that by 6 weeks after quitting smoking, we start feeling less anxious. I am now 7 weeks without a cigarette. This would suggest that smoking causes anxiety, when most of us smoked to lessen our anxiety. How weird is that!?

• Like 3

Dear Katgirl,

I did not catch before how short a time you had been working on your quit.

Your post to me were so helpful, I assumed you had quite a long time ago. I feel bad that I did not see this sooner.

I to am very anxious by nature.  I am only at 11 days and am really struggling.  My doctor had discussed this with me long ago saying smoking made my blood pressure go up and made me more anxious...I did not believe it but it makes sense. I am awake early today after waking from a nightmare only to have a panic attack.

K

• Like 2

@Kris, I , too, have suffered from depression and anxiety my entire life. I was going to say adult life, but I can remember being very anxious, even as a child,  I have awakened from weird dreams with panic attacks, too. No fun! I have to remind myself that anxiety won’t really harm me physically, though I struggle to believe that. Thankfully, I have professional help. Lately I have even tried  an unconventional technique called “tapping”, which I think may be helping. If you are unfamiliar, research it.  It gets rave reviews. On paper, my life is great. But, anxiety is always lurking….

• Like 2

Hooking up with someone who has recently quit and has some same health concerns can be a great help in most things we go through in life. One of the good things about the age of information if used properly and honestly. hang in there because the quit will get easier and more and more benefits are on the way

• Like 2

Katgirl and Gary,

What nice replies! Kat girl also suffered from this as a child.  I remember it most vividly. I knew something was wrong when I became a teenager. I had such fear of going places wondering if I would ever get back home.  With meeting new people and they would find out my secret.  I never discussed this with my Mom.  I think it all started when my Dad died when I was very young. I was blessed with a boy/man that did not care, he would do anything to help me grow and deal with the issue.

Gary, I think you are right about meeting people that suffer as you do and give you support to keep going.  I have said in multiple post I don't like technology but you are right in the fact that this has expanded my world.  Trust me when I was working I was on the computer all day doing quotes on custom print jobs, promotional products, government contracts on some of these things.  I even taught my self how to do artwork in Illustrator.  I am lucky I can still type.

I wish I could still work, it is good to keep active and busy.  I started to have severe migraines after my husband passed and eventually had to quit.  I have almost a daily migraine and was surprised not to have a headache at all that first week of the quit.

We are all reaping the benefits of giving up the habit, better health, new friends and I think new interests.  I am thinking of taking dance lessons know that I can 

breathe. (see, yes I do talk to much) but I have thought about smoking!

• Like 2

Occasionally, I have the urge to smoke, but it is more of a fleeting thought, than a real craving. I know that I can’t. Right now I am 3000 miles away from home, and my daily routine, so far from my comfort zone. But I am with 2 of my sons and 3 of my grandchildren, so it is a good thing. However, routine and ritual are important for me to feel O. K. Stress is just below the surface. I just focus on the good, and am doing fine. 

• Like 4

I am so excited for you, sounds like your having a little vacation with your kids and grandkids.  I want to do that to now that this virus thing is getting under control.

Don't focus on anything but no smokes, lots of kisses and lots of fun!

K

• Like 3

"Smoking helps me relax" is one of the great lies of smoking.  A lie agreed upon is still a lie.

A cigarette will temporarily relieve nicotine withdrawal symptoms, but is useless beyond that.  The cigarette only solves the problem created by the cigarette.

We smoked because we were addicted to nicotine.  We were addicted to nicotine because we smoked.

• Like 3

I convinced myself that I enjoyed smoking. But I did not like the feeling of urgency when I realized I was running low on cigarettes. I remember telling myself that I could easily wait until tomorrow to go get more, but would invariably rush right out to make sure I didn’t run out of supplies. I realize now it was my addiction dictating my actions. It is so freeing not to have to worry about running out of cigarettes anymore.

• Like 4

Well Kat you sure put one over on me, Your advise and support seemed to come from a long timer.

No shacking or trembling, solid as a rock presence., so let me just say you have done a great job for your self and for us,

Thank you

• Like 1

I guess I’m going to have to be the odd one out. My anxiety has worsened since I quit smoking. I’ve had more panic attacks than I’ve had combined in the whole 55 years of my life prior to quitting smoking. Cigarettes masked my real issues and at times I really am a blinking bloody mess! I spend a lot of time identifying triggers and by trial and error learn the needed reaction and response to every situation. After I have my initial cry though. The crying has eased up considerably since I started work but only when my mind is FULLY engaged with something else. I will get it all figured out and adjust though. I have never taken medication as treatment for my mental mess and will not do so now. Maybe when I’m a little older and lose control of my thought processes too. LOL @Katgirl is one strong lady and the advise she gives is spot on as far as I’ve seen!!! I am overjoyed that you are enjoying your trip so much!!! 🤗

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gus said:

I guess I’m going to have to be the odd one out. My anxiety has worsened since I quit smoking. I’ve had more panic attacks than I’ve had combined in the whole 55 years of my life prior to quitting smoking. Cigarettes masked my real issues and at times I really am a blinking bloody mess! I spend a lot of time identifying triggers and by trial and error learn the needed reaction and response to every situation. After I have my initial cry though. The crying has eased up considerably since I started work but only when my mind is FULLY engaged with something else. I will get it all figured out and adjust though. I have never taken medication as treatment for my mental mess and will not do so now. Maybe when I’m a little older and lose control of my thought processes too. LOL @Katgirl is one strong lady and the advise she gives is spot on as far as I’ve seen!!! I am overjoyed that you are enjoying your trip so much!!! 🤗

Don’t let me fool you. I put up a good front, but have my moments of sheer panic. Tonight, we went out to dinner at a fancy place, built before the American Revolution, and I was very apprehensive. Naturally, it turned out fine, and I had a great time. I suffer, almost daily, with anxiety. It comes and goes, and I use tricks I’ve learned to control it. To be perfectly honest, there are times when I pray for God to take me home, so I never have to feel sheer panic, for no real reason,  ever again. So, don’t envy me, though I expect, In some ways, I am stronger than I know.

You are stronger than you know @Katgirl! I see it in your statements and by the choices you make and in your sheer determination to ‘do you!’ You are definitely a positive influence and someone to follow on this forum. 

• Like 1