Boondock Saints

Kate18

Watching the Boondock Saints (found on Amazon Prime at the moment.

Opening scene, the recounting of Kitty Genovese and how she was not rescued. The twins made their respects to the Virgin Mary, and exited the church to light up cigarettes. I ached for a cigarette. Ach. Ach. I go for days without thinking of a cigarette. When I watched this scene, I ached for a cigarette. 

It's been more than a year since I smoked, and I have the visceral knowing that I'll never smoke again. There is no upside to smoking for me. Only for the tobacco moguls.

Yet, I ached for a cigarette in that moment.

Was this addiction? Or something else in the psyche? 

Thinking about it.

• Like 1

It's our addiction Kate. Even us long time quitters get the occasional urge. The beauty of it now though is that it's easily swatted away. We smoked for so long, me more than half my life, so it's probable that I may always have a trigger come up at some point but again it's easily dismissed :) 

• Like 1

I vote for a trigger of past memory's that your addiction has romanticized and planted in your sub-couscous  to catch you off guard at a time when you don't expect it.

Basically a time bomb in your cybernetic net work !

Yes I listen to Alex Jones !  It is a Nicosperisy Theory of mine 

Edited by Opah
  • Like 1

We have a lot of connections to smoking. Especially in the younger days before 20+ years of smoking had taken their toll. There are those moments, good memories, that included cigarettes. So, it's a feeling, a moment of reverie or nostalgia perhaps, when you and maybe your best friend lit up together after an event, an experience, and strengthened your bond as you smoked together and processed what just happened or celebrated its conclusion.  Something like that perhaps. It's the feeling that remains, what you are reminded of, and the cigarette just happened to be a part of that memory. The evil of cigarettes is the addiction and overuse that we got sucked into. If we could use cigarettes only occasionally, like wedding cake or something we only have from time to time, they wouldn't be a problem. Alas, we became nicotine addicts, dang it.

• Like 2