The Chicken Recipe Thread

Colleen

I eat a lot of chicken and am always on the lookout for new, fairly healthy chicken recipes.  Recipes that people I cook for will want to eat too.  Post them here please and I will start.

I tried this one with my son about a 2 months ago as healthier sort of burger.  I didn't really think he was going to like it, but he requests it several times a week.  I end up making extra and freezing them before cooking.  Not counting a roll, they are 296 calories and 29 g of protein.

Chicken Parm Burgers

1 lb. ground chicken
1 egg
½ cup plain breadcrumbs
¼ cup pasta sauce
2 cloves fresh garlic
½ tsp. rosemary
½ tsp. oregano
Olive oil for cooking - 3 Tablespoon is the most you need.
6 slices Provolone cheese
A few Tbsp. of pasta sauce for drizzling

In large bowl combine ground chicken, pasta sauce, egg, breadcrumbs, garlic, mix with your hands to thoroughly combine.
       Divide into 6-8 portions and Form into a flattened patty.
       Drizzle a few teaspoons of olive oil into a nonstick skillet and cook patties over medium heat            until browned on each side.
       Melt a slice of provolone cheese on top and remove from heat.
       Drizzle a little sauce on top of “burger” to dress.

ChickenParmBurger_zpsa2e75ae3.jpg
  • Like 2

I eat a lot of chicken and am always on the lookout for new, fairly healthy chicken recipes.  Recipes that people I cook for will want to eat too.  Post them here please and I will start.

I tried this one with my son about a 2 months ago as healthier sort of burger.  I didn't really think he was going to like it, but he requests it several times a week.  I end up making extra and freezing them before cooking.  Not counting a roll, they are 296 calories and 29 g of protein.

Chicken Parm Burgers

1 lb. ground chicken
1 egg
½ cup plain breadcrumbs
¼ cup pasta sauce
2 cloves fresh garlic
½ tsp. rosemary
½ tsp. oregano
Olive oil for cooking - 3 Tablespoon is the most you need.
6 slices Provolone cheese
A few Tbsp. of pasta sauce for drizzling

In large bowl combine ground chicken, pasta sauce, egg, breadcrumbs, garlic, mix with your hands to thoroughly combine.
       Divide into 6-8 portions and Form into a flattened patty.
       Drizzle a few teaspoons of olive oil into a nonstick skillet and cook patties over medium heat            until browned on each side.
       Melt a slice of provolone cheese on top and remove from heat.
       Drizzle a little sauce on top of “burger” to dress.

ChickenParmBurger_zpsa2e75ae3.jpg

Colleen, you should put your chicken taco recipe here, too!

• Like 1

What pasta sauce do you use? Why pasta sauce?

I tend to just pick a low calorie sauce (like here they do low cal versions of piri piri or bbq etc and slice and oven cook in the sauce so it holds the flavour without adding loads of calories. I put tin foil over so it doesn't burn or dry out. 

Food types are different tho, I know this as I went looking for laughing cow flavoured cheese after reading on here and was gutted there wasn't any lol.

What pasta sauce do you use? Why pasta sauce?

I tend to just pick a low calorie sauce (like here they do low cal versions of piri piri or bbq etc and slice and oven cook in the sauce so it holds the flavour without adding loads of calories. I put tin foil over so it doesn't burn or dry out. 

Food types are different tho, I know this as I went looking for laughing cow flavoured cheese after reading on here and was gutted there wasn't any lol.

There is laughing cow!

La Vache qui rit

I've got some in the fridge!

Actually would those sortof things spread inside a sliced in half piece of chicken work, then breadcrumb after.  I often put cheese and bacon in mine but it's not low fat  :huh: . Just slice like a roll and seal the sides with a cocktail stick after I've breadcrumbed to cook. x

• 3 months later...

Crockpot Chicken Tacos

Chicken breasts 3 or 4

large jar of salsa, I use medium

1/4 fat free cream cheese

Pour salsa over chicken breasts, cook on low for 8 hours.  Add sour cream, mix and let cook another 20 minutes or so.  We eat them with Old El Paso taco boats and shredded mexican cheese.

I just finished making 14 Chicken Parm Burgers to stick in the freezer.  Tonight, though I am making Pollo alla Cacciatora.  Recipe below.

INGREDIENTS

Olive oil

4 lb chicken breast

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

½ cup flour

1 tsp. minced rosemary

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 bay leaf

1tsp. tomato paste

1 medium carrot, cut into ¼" pieces

1 medium red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced

1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced

1 stalk celery, thinly sliced

⅔ cup dry white wine

1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes

1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley

INSTRUCTIONS

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in flour. Working in batches, cook chicken until browned, 10–12 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate; set aside.

Over medium heat, cook carrot, bell pepper, onion, and celery to pan; cook until soft and golden, 6–8 minutes. Stir in tomato paste.  Add rosemary, garlic, bay leaf and cook until fragrant, one minute. Add wine; cook, stirring and scraping browned bits from bottom of pan, until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, and return chicken to pot; bring to a simmer.

Cover and cook over medium low heat until chicken is tender, about 30 minutes. Remove chicken from pot, transfer to platter, and reduce sauce slightly, about 5-10 minutes. Stir in parsley and serve.

• Like 2