I'm going out

laura

So I'm going out tonight and I'm just over 3 weeks I think any advice would be great.

I. Going to an old skool garage concert which I am really looking forward to but also a little anxious. .

I was so nervous my first outing too.

Main thing is:  KNOW you are not going to smoke.  When you take it off the table, it takes the gut-wrenching indecision "will I or won't I?" away.

Think about how great it will be to be there and not be the smoking social pariah.   Three weeks is AMAZING.  This will be another success in the books for you.  Remember, we got your back, and if you need to check in here on your mobile, please do so.

I saw this cartoon the other day, and it's so true.  There is NO place anymore smokers are accepted.  We are way better off without that horrible monkey on our backs.

medical-health-smokers-smoker-second_han

• Like 4

The only advice I have is to keep your guard up if you drink any alcohol.  Many people relapse because of alcohol so just be aware of what happens if you drink and like Ava said, check in on your mobile if you need to.  Also, any thread in the S.O.S. forum goes straight to all of the moderators email/cell phones as well as many other members so you won't be left in a lurch if you find yourself having a tough time.

You're 3 weeks quit so you deserve a reward and the freedom to do whatever you want without the fear of smoking.  Have fun and remember that you're a non-smoker and have already freed yourself from the grip of nicotine addiction.

• Like 2

Laura - go out , enjoy , just remember you are a non smoker - so smoking is not an option - other than that enjoy your night - checkin and let us know how you are going -! a0d0423989cfe63dbac86525c36d6b54_zpsff34

• Like 3

Laura,

Be confident about your quit, you can do this.  I don't how much you normally drink, but take it easy.  Nurse one drink, if you need to just to be in control.  Drinking lowers your inhibitions, just keep your guard up.  I am not a big drinker, usually a couple of glasses of wine and I am good.  I take my time drinking them too.  I drank an entire bottle of wine on NYE, but that was an exception and I was at home.  I wasn't around smokers and no one was around to see me trip over my own feet lol.  My first encounter with alcohol was spur of the moment, but I did fine.  You will too!  Before I quit, I could go 6 months without a drink.  I think I was afraid of it becoming a habit or something.  Since I quit, I enjoy a glass of wine, several nights a week.  You are planning this, so be proactive and make sure you have a plan if you get the urge to smoke.  No matter what happens, don't smoke.  If you need to post an SOS, then do it even if you think you can handle it.  Your quit should be the most important thing to you tonight.  If you need to leave early and go home, then do it.  You'll thank yourself later.  Plenty of night outs can be had and you will enjoy them more without smoking.  

• Like 3

I think I did my first night out after about a month. It was fine, but you have to absolutely be commuted to being vigilant, and if you are faced with a situation, walk away from it. I truly believe that if you want to smoke you will, and if you don't want to you won't.

The fact that you posted this asking for advice makes me think that you don't want to smoke - good for you :)

I am going out tonight too, and there are smokers with me - I will make the choice right now to commit to nope and not smoke.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I've already been to the pub lol

• Like 2

I'm confident I will be fine I am going with my sister and husband neither smoke, I do have a good drink when I'm out though but I have quit smoking not living and I don't want to do the same as I did last year and not go out its very depressing.

Thanks for all yr advise peeps very grateful :-)

• Like 2

I'm so happy to wake up with a slight hangover but no guilt from smoking, I did think about it when I first got out but strangely surprised my self that by the end of the night I had forgot about it. Dancing is so much er better for you :-)

• Like 5

I'm so happy to wake up with a slight hangover but no guilt from smoking, I did think about it when I first got out but strangely surprised my self that by the end of the night I had forgot about it. Dancing is so much er better for you :-)

That's just awesome!

Well done you - and we are proud of you :)

• Like 1

Late to this party..

Way to go Laura. That's a major trigger kicked firmly in the nuts...

Maybe we should all just dance whenever a trigger comes along B)

Great work!

Oh Bandit ... Am I the only one visualising a twirling man in kilt ... Just promise those skirt ends will stay together a0d0423989cfe63dbac86525c36d6b54_zpsff34