Cravings during unguarded moments--like now

Kate18

Should I expect frequent cravings to smoke still? 

This morning I am dealing with paperwork for physical therapy bills for a workplace injury that should have been taken care of between the PT company and L&I. 

Then news that I need to increase dose on a medication that may be making glaucoma worse. So I'm off to an optometrist in two hours to have the pressure in my aching eyes measured.

And I'm craving a cigarette. Really wish I could smoke.

Not an SOS caliber craving, but missing the relief from stress that smoking gave me.

Or is this romancing the cigarette

Hi Kate, first of all congratulations on two months quit!!!! And yes, its totally normal to still be craving cigarettes. We smoked for years so it's going to take a good amount of time to get past all the things that made us want a smoke. The good news is that, like you said above, they are already getting weaker and you don't feel a need to SOS. That's GREAT! 

We have a One year pledge pinned to the main forum that many of us take because we believe that it takes a full year to get past most of the cravings you'll face throughout the year. It's a pledge to yourself that you will stay as close to the board as possible to enable yourself the support you need. Hopefully you'll think about taking it.

Please stay healthy and remember that quitting is your best bet at doing that :) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Or is this romancing the cigarette

Yes.

Junkie thinking there must be a way to rationalize a fix.  Tell yourself that smoking is not an option so stop wasting time with that line of thinking.  The faster you dismiss these ideas the less they will bother you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think a lot of people who have long term quits don't like to tell newbies just how long they may experience cravings.  They're afraid it may discourage people from even trying.  Well I want to tell you that it's worth any amount of time required to get to the point where freedom, calmness, and health rule the day.  Be proud of the amazing 2 month accomplishment you've already achieved and continue your commitment to overcome any hurdle moving forward.  You're doing great Kate.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

• Like 7

Cravings ease with time and everyone is different in regards to how long it takes.

Still, we've all smoked for a long time so it takes a while to get past the thought of smoking as a crutch during certain times. 

Just remember, that cigarette will not help anything.  It will just destroy your quit and you will have to start over from the beginning and sometimes people even struggle with trying to start over.  What you are experiencing is absolutely junkie thinking.

You are doing great with 2 months smoke free.  Keep the quit and things will continue to gradually get better.  You are doing great and what you are experiencing is normal.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You have a great 2 months Quit .....

But it's still early days ...of course smoking is going to be in your mind sometimes ...

You get get thoughts ...it's what you do with those thoughts ....

They are part of the healing process.....it does get easier ....be kind to yourself ...don't forget the rewards ...

They are very important ....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kate18 said:

Should I expect frequent cravings to smoke still? 

The cravings will come and go for a while.  We spent years feeding our addiction and conditioning ourselves with cigarettes.  It takes a little time to rewire the system and acclimate to being a non-smoker.

Be patient with the process and you will get there.

• Like 4

Yes, totally romancing the cigarette! When I do that , I remind myself of the 9,999 other cigarettes that go with it and if I wanna smoke them too.  Your eyes will thank you for keeping your resolve to stay smoke free! NTAP!

• Like 1