Newbie Check In!!!

jillar

well, I haven't smoked in over 24 hours.  course, I haven't done much except sleep, hydrate and whine.  Have read some on this site.  I have read and reread my reasons for quitting. I have tried to compose a pre SOS to myself. 

Arguing with myself steadily this morning.  My conviction of "I do not smoke" doesn't ring true today.  Why go through all the effort only to fail later at an inconsequential upset where I choose to pick up? 

On the up side.  I have not smoked for over a day. I am not eating my way through cravings. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations on your quit, @darcy.

The early days may be gruesome but, nothing you cannot handle.

As you conquer each crave/trigger reward yourself with something, this could be a small purchase or even a thought that brings you joy...a bath, a walk...a nap.

We are behind you, cheering wildly.  We LOVE quitters.

• Like 4

This first week is the hardest @darcy, that's why we call it Hell week! But we are all proof that you can do it. We are here to support you every step of the way so PLEASE post an SOS if you feel your quit is in jeopardy so that you can get past it with our help. Each time you beat a crave you get stronger and that quit gets weaker..

• Like 2

Thanks for the support. You all seem kind, funny and real sized. 

I'm feeling in such a negative headspace, I don't want to spew all over the niceness here at QT.    I am lurking about and reading lots.  You all really do have great senses of humor and kindness and butt kickiness. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, darcy said:

I'm feeling in such a negative headspace, I don't want to spew all over the niceness here at QT.    I am lurking about and reading lots.  You all really do have great senses of humor and kindness and butt kickiness. 

That's because we are real sized lol. The negative head space is completely normal and is only temporary. Soon you'll start getting renewed self esteem and pride at being able to quit. 

Spew as much as you want here. We have a curse it thread in The Off the Record Forum that we've all used and it really helps getting that stuff off your chest :)

https://www.quittrain.com/topic/835-can-we-have-a-curse-it-threadwith-warnings-as-sometimes-i-just-wanna-ffffffffffff/

• Like 3

Flip Darcy, you are doing brilliant! Nobody ever forgets their first week, and that's why you are

getting great advice here from the long term quitters. Hang in there...every morning when I get up, I 

always tell myself that I wont smoke today....it helps

• Like 5

4 hours ago, darcy said:

You can't hurt the 'niceness here at QT'.  Be yourself, express yourself,  there are readers who will appreciate your honesty.

Quitting is serious business and some of it can be downright gnarly. 

The important thing is to nurture yourself, be kind to yourself and accentuate the positive. 

You are addressing your addiction and making yourself a healthier and happier being. You will be shining very very soon, hang in there

and remember to stand by your commitment to yourself, to NOPE...you will never have to go through this again.

Acknowledge The Negative But, Dwell On The Positive

I wanted to mention that you can download Joel Spitzer's free Ebook. 

It isn't a huge file and then you can read it w/out it affecting your data.
Never Take Another Puff

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Irene said:

Flip Darcy, you are doing brilliant! Nobody ever forgets their first week, and that's why you are

getting great advice here from the long term quitters. Hang in there...every morning when I get up, I 

always tell myself that I wont smoke today....it helps

This is great support, Irene.  Newbies can help eachother so much.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Still here.  smoke free almost 2 days. Yay!

Will need to begin acting like a functioning human soon.

The worst part, so far, is my choice to be miserable to my guy. As if he has anything to do with my f'ed up life choices.

At any rate.... I will try to make tomorrow normalish in terms of scheduling and events.

Again, thanks for the encouragement, advice and humour.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, darcy said:

The Quit Train does have a laid back vibe.  We do joke around a lot in here.

That being said, we can also be serious.  One of the great strengths of this place is that it gives a forum to express whatever is on your mind.

If you feel more content reading and watching videos right now, do that.  I think you'll find what you're looking for here.

If you feel like venting a bit of frustration, let it rip.  We've had some epic rants here in the past.

You're among friends here.  Everybody's experience here is different, make it your own.

• Like 3

Congratulations, Darcy! Two days is awesome!! Keep going...it's worth the effort. I was in a foul mood for about 8 days off and on.. it gets better quickly. I did binge watch TV and gorge on food the first few days.  I have the fat to prove it LOL. Fast forward to day 54 and I only had one crave...none yesterday...and depression is lifting.

Welcome aboard!! Use all the resources to fuel your resolve.  Watching Joel Spitzer's videos and reading up on smoking's harmful effects really helps to get through the first weeks. 

Edited by Angeleek
  • Like 2

Continued gratitude for Doreen, Boo, Sazerac, Irene, Jillar, Notsmokinjo and the many others for direct suggestions (read this, do this), support (kind words believing in me) and ideas (this might be something you'd resonate with).

I'm a reader, so the reading the threads and playing games helps.  Rereading the info on addiction, quitting, relapsing....all useful.

Rounding out close to 3 days free.  Finding the evening the toughest.  Likely because I'm already tired.  Tried to put some semblance of normal schedule into my day...only to realize the world is resetting most schedules today. 

Hoping all of you are healthy and hale with those you hold dear. 

• Like 3

Evenings are tough, we used smoking to calm us down after a hard day. How stupid was that?! Take a nice bath, use my JAC (jillars air cigarette) for bad craves. And listen to your body and do what it needs to recover. That means rest, munch, whatever your body wants to get to work and right the wrongs we did by smoking.

I used to hang out in places I normally didn't smoke. I didn't smoke in my car so I would take a drive around the block and the crave would go away. 

you're doing great and the nicotine is almost out of your system already 😊

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, darcy said:

Continued gratitude for Doreen, Boo, Sazerac, Irene, Jillar, Notsmokinjo and the many others for direct suggestions (read this, do this), support (kind words believing in me) and ideas (this might be something you'd resonate with).

I'm a reader, so the reading the threads and playing games helps.  Rereading the info on addiction, quitting, relapsing....all useful.

Rounding out close to 3 days free.  Finding the evening the toughest.  Likely because I'm already tired.  Tried to put some semblance of normal schedule into my day...only to realize the world is resetting most schedules today. 

Hoping all of you are healthy and hale with those you hold dear. 

Like Jillar recommends, breaking up your patterns is essential.  You don't smoke anymore !

Pardon me,  if I have already posted this for you about H.A.L.T. 

are you Hungry/thirsty, Angry/emotional, Lonesome/bored, Tired.

Many craves or feeling uncomfortable can be due to these things and not really about nicotine at all.

Riffing on H.A.L.T.

and since you are a reader, if you're interested in the neuro science of addiction here are a few posts.

Smoking Leaves Lasting Marks On DNA

The Brain On Drugs

It is great seeing you post around the QTrain, Darcy.

Many people who get involved here like you build themselves fine sturdy quits.

Tomorrow Day 4 !  You Quit Smoking !  Make sure you reward yourself grandly, you are doing awesome work.

• Like 1