Another Benefit!

Seemed like it didn't matter when I came home for lunch, the mowers were always mowing my yard especially right at that moment.

So I'd be out there feeling silly sucking on a cig letting my dogs out. Trying to have the pooches avoid the dudes mowing and feed the addiction at same time.

Got home late today and noticed they mowed for first time this season. Now I don't give a fig what time they come, I don't have to be embarrassed out there while they are there.

What's something you never considered when quitting that turned out to be a benefit?

• Like 6

I never thought I could enjoy my coffee more without a cigarette.  My morning coffee and cigarettes was a ritual that I looked forward to and now, it's makes me sick think of ruining a perfectly brewed cup of coffee with a nasty cigarette.  Now instead of hovering outside to smoke, I sit in my chair, feet up, drinking coffee and reading this forum.  Can't beat that.

• Like 3

Meetings. I have to sit through some long ones as part of my job; today the meeting was 2.5 hrs. long. Before I quit, these types of meetings would put me in nicotine withdrawal. My anxiety would rise during this time and my concentration would drop because all I was thinking about was a cigarette. Today I listened to 2 hrs. of data and was able suggest a series of experiments that could resolve the problem. Could I have done the same if I was Jonesing for a smoke, I'm not so sure.

• Like 6

I love not missing out on family/friend time. Whenever I was out with friends for example, I'd have to go outside constantly to get my fix. I'm so glad I can enjoy a day out without constantly worrying about my addiction. :)

• Like 4

So many things. The biggest is spending proper time with the children. I'd often leave them mid puzzle or mid game once I'd got them started, so I could go and smoke and come back (now I know smelling real bad) and carry on like that was ok!!  I make a habit of spending a large portion of one on one time with each child without ever getting the craving. I like that.

I wasn't the embarrassed smoker though, I was the god given right smoker!!  Fresh air outside and you look at me, I'm bitching about it's outside.  need to stop having fun (4 times my kids had to stop at a theme park so I could go to smokers corner) and that was ok to take some time for me.  Duh!!  So I do wonder at you guys when you say you felt bad for smoking...I simply never did. x

• Like 4

Cinema - never being able to enjoy the end of the film because by that point there was only 1 thing on my mind, and it wasn't wondering if there would be a happy ending it not!

• Like 4

Cinema - never being able to enjoy the end of the film because by that point there was only 1 thing on my mind, and it wasn't wondering if there would be a happy ending it not!

This. Exactly Ross.

Oh, and I avoided 3-hour long movies like the plague. No way, no how was I going without a smoke for 3 hours!

• Like 2

This. Exactly Ross.

Oh, and I avoided 3-hour long movies like the plague. No way, no how was I going without a smoke for 3 hours!

LOL, I always thought smoking was 'social' but it was actually anything but!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

One big advantage I just noticed today when it is 83 degrees out, sunny, hot & humid,

Driving with all the windows down and not worrying about everything getting coated in ashes! :)

• Like 2

I had to go to a party at my parents house, not a single smoker in the bunch. In the past I would have spent all my time finding a place to hide and smoke and then trying to cover up the smell before I could come back. This time I just sat happily with my Mike's hard lemonade and enjoyed the food and conversation :)

• Like 2

Yep. Swear I was last smoker in world until I quit. Then they all popped up. But at parties leaving for fix and smell hiding. Probably didn't work but thought it did.

• Like 1