Flavour Thesaurus

sharonsiff

Found my The Flavour Thesaurus book by Niki Segnit.

My head has been so full of Jolly robins, since last Summer, that I forgot I had it!

So...tonight...roast dinner and I checked out flavour combos for carrots (I normally drizzle with honey and roast)

It says...Carrot & Cumin: That it's rare to sit down at a Moroccan feast without being offered a plate of sweet carrots in a robust, cumin flavoured dressing. Then tells me to use fresh carrots, toss in olive oil and sprinkle with cumin before roasting. It tells me that this will intensify both their earthiness and their sweetness, coaxing the sugars to the surface, where they caramelise and mingle deliciously with the spice....mmmm...sounds fab!

I am going to give these a whirl tonight.

Also saw this combo if it helps anyone...

Cumin & potato: cumin has something of a musty flavour and shares an earthy quality with potato. Combine them and you might expect something reminiscent of a trudge round a ruined castle on a damp Sunday afternoon-yet they taste anything but gloomy in the Indian potato dish ' jeera aloo' . When cooked, potatoes and cumin take on a new sweetness, and the latter becomes a deal more aromatic. Boil unpleeled potatoes until just tender, then drain, dry and cut into halves of quarters. Fry in oil with cumin and salt until browned. Garnish with chopped fresh coriander.

• Like 3

Any time Ross..;)

Paul, I will certainly give that combo a go. When I read 'nutmeg' I laughed to myself as I'd read a food combo using nutmeg that made me laugh.

It says....

Avocado and nutmeg: Advocado mixed with nutmeg is said to have an aphrodisiac effect on men. Advocado contains vitamin B6, which supposedly stimulates the production of testosterone. Nutmeg turns everyone on. Together they transform the mildest-mannered mummy's boy into Javier Bardem. Grind a little nutmeg over cold avocado soup or avocado stuffed with shellfish, then stand back.

Obviously could just be me, and my humour, but I laughed out loud.

Great tip about the combo though Paul, will certainly give it a go.

• Like 2

If only Steve liked avocado, I would totally try the avocado/nutmeg combo.

But the cumin and carrot one make sense. Let us know how it tastes.

You should take pictures so I can openly drool!

• Like 1

If only Steve liked avocado, I would totally try the avocado/nutmeg combo.

But the cumin and carrot one make sense. Let us know how it tastes.

You should take pictures so I can openly drool!

It was a delicious combo Leanne, the girls liked it too!..shock, horror...lol

I can not seem to post a picture for love nor money using this ipad, given up..;)

• Like 1

Two Chocolate combos today.....

Chocolate & Cardamom: Like a puppeteers black velvet curtain, dark chocolate is the perfect smooth background for cardamom to show off its colours. Use cardamom in sufficient quantities and you can pick out its enigmatic citrus, eucalyptus and warm, woody floral quantities. She finds adding a pinch of ground cardamom can make even the most ordinary dark chocolate taste expensive. This tart is spectacularly delicious and very quick to make but needs a couple of hours in the fridge to set. Prepare and bake a 23cm sweet pastry case. Slit open 10 cardamom pods, grindbup the contents with a mortar and pestle, add 300mls double cream in a pan and scald. Remove from the heat and add 200g dark chocolate, broken into pieces, and 25g unsalted butter. Stir until melted and well mixed. When cooled a little (don't let it set), pour into the pastry case and place in the fridge for two or three hours. When hardened, sift a little cocoa powder over it and serve with a modest dollop of creme fraiche.

Chocolate & Strawberry (or strawberries in big knickers/panties)

Not all it's cracked up to be. Strawberry's heart-like shape and colour have seen it unimaginatively match-made with that default love token, chocolate. But doesn't a strawberry dipped in chocolate just look like a fruit wearing big knickers? And aren't they the sort of thing asset-strippers feed to call girls in cream coloured hotel rooms? I'd take chocolate and hazelnut over these two any day....again, love her humour.