Another new trigger

Sarah

I went for a swim this morning, first time to the pool since my quit. Had a great session, really enjoyed it and felt great. Just as I was leaving the pool and heading to my car, Boom! Huge trigger!

Thinking back I always used to have a cigarette after a swim. Strange how these things hit you.

each trigger you beat will make you that bit stronger (well done sarah )

What Andrew said.

You will, over time, find the triggers wind you up less and less. Well done for sticking two fingers up at the trigger.

• Like 1

Sarah Well done you kicked nicodemon's butt, each time you face and overcome a trigger/crave you become stronger in your quit, just remember its only a tiny thought inside your head, if you don't fan the flames of the thought it wont grow and will die out.  xx

• Like 1

Sarah, you're doing something amazing. You quit smoking and there will be some days you can eat up your shoelaces, out of frustration or when you have a craving. Let those emotions out. You rock!

• Like 2

I don't know what's wrong with me today. Just had a massive cry about nothing. I don't even know why I'm sad. Maybe I'm just feeling lonely today.

It happens. When you quit smoking, your body goes through a lot of changes. Early on, I was very emotional and cried a lot over nothing. This too shall pass.

Good on you for facing that trigger and kicking ass. Like others have said, it will be easier next time. The more you face that trigger, the less intense it will be to the point where it no longer exists. 

• Like 3

A lot of us have the ups and downs, me included. Try listening to some music, even if you don't feel like it you might surprise yourself how fast it can change your mood :)

Congrats on beating your trigger!! Proud of you!

• Like 3

Same thing happened to me the first month after quitting. A couple of days I just burst into tears and sobbed, hard. Grief over letting go of my life long crutch, I think. Whatever the case, it helped to cry. Just know it is normal and it doesn't mean you get to smoke to get through it! (That's what my brain told me, anyway. . . :P

• Like 3

Hey Sarah - 

The emotional thing is normal. I have cried more in the last 100 days than the preceding 30 years. A body chemistry thing I think.

The trigger? Great work. That is why the 'wise ones' tell us it is a year until the triggers go. Something as simple as the weather changing can kick off a trigger. You did great. Ignore it and it goes away.

Great work.

• Like 1

I think I need a few sunny days to cheer me up. Just feeling flat and lonely.

Think the whole no boyfriend thing is more real now. All his stuff is gone from my flat now, had a massive clean up too. I miss him even though he was a complete arsehole. I don't want him back. Just miss company and obviously when it was good it was good. Grr. Stupid head.

Just feeling empty and missing every other beat.

I've got friends like you who are never single, they seem to jump from one person to the next with no break.

As Paul said, sort your head out first, being single is fine, as Robert D'Niro said in Heat "I am alone, I am not lonely" (incidentally if you've not seen Heat, go and watch it, it's awesome). Surround yourself with friends who you want to talk to rather than going out on the pull. You'll find it quite refreshing to find your own space and be known for you rather than one half of a couple.

Be well.

• Like 1

I missed the add ons. I think we all feel things differently. who knows why? No crutch, chemicals working their way out of our system etc, but it happens to us all. I'm not comfortable with it either, it feels a bit random, but I've learnt it is what it is and it seems to pass quicker if I just let myself cry it out for that moment ya know.

I have no advice on relationships. I'm pretty pants at them tbh lol. So i think it's good you recognise things don't feel right and maybe you can set about filling in a bit more time in a reliable way (ya know regular plans) so there are things to focus on??  Like girls wine/tea night tuesdays, after work drink thursday...that sort of thing? Just an idea. xx

• Like 1