Myth Busters - Smoking Edition

I, along with many, believed that smoking chilled me out

and would reach for a smoke to calm me down.

It was a colossal revelation when I learned that I was only relieving the anxiety caused by low nicotine levels !

smoke.gif.63793becb5eab6640b3bd1609938c7d2.gif

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 5

Yep...I 'needed' to smoke to control my anxiety....can honestly say my anxiety is better as a non smoker. Smoking just amplified my anxiety. 

I had given up everything else, so it was the only thing I had left....oh and biggest myth I told myself, it was better for the kid if I kept smoking because I would be too agro trying to quit to be a good mum.

• Like 4

I won't be 'Me' without smoking was another huge myth.

Although I was enamored of my smoking persona and defiant with denial,

these were only by-products of my addiction.

When I learned the truth about addiction,  my idiocy was revealed.

• Like 2

Reading this was an eye opener on a couple of the points and I actually bought into a couple of them when I was a smoker.  I am kind of ashamed to admit that when I was younger I kind of fell into the "we all have to die of something" myth so why not smoking -- some of the stupid things that I did.  Anyway I have quit and my eyes are opened to what smoking really does -- help keeps me grounded!!!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Martian5 said:

I am kind of ashamed to admit that when I was younger I kind of fell into the "we all have to die of something" myth so why not smoking -- some of the stupid things that I did.

Same here.  I rolled out those two old tropes "we're all gonna die of something" and "nobody gets out alive" to justify my addiction on a regular basis.  As an addict, you have to learn to turn a blind eye to your own bullshit.

Fortunately, I eventually got tired of that guy in the mirror lying to me every day.  That was when I was able to start making some positive changes in my life.

• Like 6

I also thought I wouldn't be "me" if I quit smoking. Totally resonate with thinking I would somehow lose my identity if I stopped -  what a load of BS that turned out to be!! I was also under the majorly false impression that it relieved stress - the actual truth is it caused stress for me. I was always worrying if I have enough cigarettes/if there's somewhere I can buy some more/what if I run out/when can I have my next fix and the list goes on and on and on. I am not someone who is prone to being stressed easily and cigarettes have actually been the only bloody thing that have consistently ever stressed me out. 

• Like 3