Blood pressure question

I have read here somewhere that after quitting it's possible that meds for high blood pressure may be lowered or eliminated. I think it was Martian who had his meds lowered. I do have a doctors appt in May and will have my bp checked and discuss this with my doctor then but has anyone else here experienced lower bp after quitting?  How long after quitting does this usually happen?  Would love to eventually not have to take them. 

I think mine dropped a little but nothing significant.

I believe mine is now typically 140/90 and probably 145/90 when I smoked. Not sure exactly but it wasn't much.

I think raised blood pressure is a short term effect of smoking. Depending on the source, it takes between 20 minutes and 24 hours for BP to drop.

Of course they keep lowering the number of what is "safe" so they can sell more BP meds. That part has nothing to do with smoking and more about them pushing meds.

• Like 1

Yes it was I whose BP dropped.  My doctor stated that quitting smoking was a big part in that.  My BP had gone to the low side so we lowered the meds.  Also my walking had improved and that will also help lower BP  Now remember everyone is different.  I would continue to monitor your BP and then discuss with your doctor (of course they will also probably add that exercise and diet will also help -- but hey I did that also).

• Like 3