Smoker's To Pay More In The UK !!!

Doreensfree

19 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Don't your smokes already have the brand name on the tube... ours do... it used to be a joke, can you smoke in one long drag until it saya "brand name"....and drunk morons would do it and you would then say.. But I didn't hear it.... stupid drunk teen shit... anyway.... they already have the brand printed on the smoke, whats the difference if they have a warning...sheesh.

Yes, there's a very small brand name print just above the filter on each cig now. It's very tiny, thin lettering so not much ink. What they are proposing is a bold copy printing of SMOKING CAUSES CANCER all along the paper tube, from filter to tip so, a lot more ink per cigarette. It would stand out and be seen by everyone looking at a cigarette that's for sure!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

Except the smoker won't really see it only the people around them ??

I think the smoker will see it most. You take that cig from the pack, it's will be right there and you;re doing that maybe 20 times a day. Depending on how you hold the cigarette, you'll see it from time to time when you take a drag, even if it's only in your peripheral vision. Again, small visual images here and there repeated every day for as long as you smoke. Sure. you can say it doesn't bother me because I get numb to it after awhile but the images are still imprinting your brain every day with a negative (not a positive) message. I can't say for sure it makes a huge difference but it's better than what big tobacco used to do ..... portraying cigarette smoking as socially acceptable and in fact glamorous! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, reciprocity said:

I think the smoker will see it most. You take that cig from the pack, it's will be right there and you;re doing that maybe 20 times a day. Depending on how you hold the cigarette, you'll see it from time to time when you take a drag, even if it's only in your peripheral vision. Again, small visual images here and there repeated every day for as long as you smoke. Sure. you can say it doesn't bother me because I get numb to it after awhile but the images are still imprinting your brain every day with a negative (not a positive) message. I can't say for sure it makes a huge difference but it's better than what big tobacco used to do ..... portraying cigarette smoking as socially acceptable and in fact glamorous! 

Anything that helps people quit smoking is a move in the right direction. 

I can only speak for myself but I googled when pictures came out on packets. It said 2001 so it took me 17 years from then to quit smoking. That is why I say the impact of warnings is ignored by most. We say this is an addiction and realistically addicts don't listen to reason, they don't care as long as they get their fix.  

I'm more in favour of education because as is said here regularly education is key. 

If you took two sets of 100 smokers and gave the first 100 people cigarettes with a warning message on, then took the second set of 100 people round a cancer ward I'm pretty sure the second group would have more immediate quitters. Even then they would forget what they saw quite quickly as the addict in them would take over. Most of us have watched our loved ones die from smoking and then chain smoked while grieving. 

I'm not saying either one of our views is right or wrong. I just hope more people stumble across sites like this because success somewhere like here is much higher than any warning on a cigarette packet. 

^^^ I agree with what you say Lilly :) When I was a smoker I scoffed at the horrid pictures on cigarette packs. You can put anything on there you like but you will not deny me my smokes! That was my attitude also but, now that I am on the other side of the issue, I would rather have them legislate anything that will make it more clear to smokers that this is not only dangerous to themselves but it's socially unacceptable now as well in most places. Beyond that what can be done? I don't believe in making them illegal. That doesn't work.

I guess what I am hoping is that these little things might in some cases bring people to sites like this one a little sooner.

• Like 3

My friend started to put black tape around each packet ,when I asked ,Why ...she said so she doesn't have to look at all the horrible pictures..

If that was enough ...she then went in to the shop and asked for packets with one certain picture...and not the others...

The shop retailer had to go through them ,till he found the right pack...it was a local shop ,so she knew him...otherwise I don't think she would have been able to do this...

The lengths smokers will go ...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

If that was enough ...she then went in to the shop and asked for packets with one certain picture...and not the others...

I did this too ? ...

but some of the tobacco shops here sold stickers that were pre-printed that you could stick over the pictures... things like...

stickers.jpg

I have friends who use these. ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

There are also fancy box covers. Yep, guilty. Had a flamingo one ?

i always have doubs with those warnings etc. from experience, if people don’t want to quit they won’t, regardless of all the pictures. On the other hand, one can’t just not do anything and just sit and watch. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, reciprocity said:

Yes, there's a very small brand name print just above the filter on each cig now. It's very tiny, thin lettering so not much ink. What they are proposing is a bold copy printing of SMOKING CAUSES CANCER all along the paper tube, from filter to tip so, a lot more ink per cigarette. It would stand out and be seen by everyone looking at a cigarette that's for sure!

image.png.d94d15085d00edde5888b005e4b4c3dc.png

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, MrTitWank said:

Instead of gross images they should just put your death certificate in the package already...

Yes - with a note saying: Please fill in YOUR name!

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

My friend started to put black tape around each packet ,when I asked ,Why ...she said so she doesn't have to look at all the horrible pictures..

The shop retailer had to go through them ,till he found the right pack...it was a local shop ,so she knew him...otherwise I don't think she would have been able to do this...

The lengths smokers will go ...

Yep Doreen.. There's a guy that kicks up a stink and demands to see all the packets until he finds one that he's comfortable with..  Then you have the smoker that demands to know how much tar and nicotine is in the pack they want..  only, it doesn't tell you anymore..!!

Lots of packs have went up by  around 70p for budget but highest increase is a whopping £1.20 .. so that's 12 or 13 pounds a pack.. !!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 10/31/2018 at 4:06 PM, reciprocity said:

all along the paper tube, from filter to tip so, a lot more ink per cigarette. It would stand out and be seen by everyone looking at a cigarette that's for sure!

Yeah THAT will make them stop and think, "Gee, i sure do not want to get cancer, I better stop smoking". Then they throw the pack away. 

For real, I doubt that will scare them.

Edited by Jet Black

2 hours ago, Jet Black said:

For real, I doubt that will scare them.

I'm with you there but there will be some who it works on and its better than sitting there doing nothing.... seriously what options do they have... I tend to agree that making it illegal wont work... dope is illegal here in Aus and yet they say by the time we are 18, 50% of Aussies have had at least one joint.... how would tobacco be any different. I just think changes need to be made... and doing something is better than doing nothing.

• Like 2