Newbie Party!! (Everyone's invited)

c9jane29

Hey all you quitters! Staying nope over here. I was mowing the lawn today and felt a sense of panic at the thought of not having a smoke half way through. The day is filled with these little moments where I would take a break. Not sure how to fill the "break" space.

Edited by Kdad
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kdad said:

Hey all you quitters! Staying nope over here

@Kdad that is the way to do it.  Just stay stuck on that nope.  I think that void you are talking about was the cigarette reward you gave yourself for mowing the lawn.  Maybe fill it with a beer or ice tea.  I am having a hard time with that reward thing.  I always relaxed with a cigarette after a chore or project.  Now I am at a loss to reward myself with something.  I was holding out to hit my husband up with something big - like diamonds or a trip but I do think it is important to reward ourselves in some way each day.  

• Like 3

OK...so this is not the healthiest reward but there are some boiled lollies I love that I have to drive to Ballarat to get... So that's a day trip, over 150km away.... So I had a jar of these and would use them when I had a reward triggered crave. At work I'd pop outside for a smoke when I finished a task... So post smoke I had a memory game on my phone, I'd pop outside and play that for few mins. There are lots of things you can do.

Oh and TobacNO ... I still get those dreams, less often than early but yep an LSD trip is the only way to describe then.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 3

@TobacNO Congratulations on your NINE days, this is a fierce accomplishment. 

Reward yourself, rewards are really important because they teach the brain what rewards are and wrench what should be true pleasure away from nicotine.

@Kdadtaking breaks without smoking was quite an adjustment for me.  Then,  when I sat down, I took nice deep clean gorgeous breaths of Oxygen.

This helped me to rest, to think and plan.  Oxygen became my favorite drug.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 6

@Kdad! Kdad! Kdad!

28l9hc8.jpg

Dance off!!

Thanks for coming kdad! And for thank you for quitting! 

It's a funny illusion that "free" time, huh? I remember trying to fill it with mindless activity to keep the junkie thinking away. There is a light tho! Soon, you will learn to relax and just enjoy life....then you will wonder when you could ever find the time to smoke all day!! 

Linda Thomas suggested (very wisely...this lady, I'm telling you; she's on to something) small task rewards. I used mini chocolate bars. 

You will get it Kdad!! We're rooting for you!

• Like 4

Is the party still on..? 

What helped me in my quit, so far: 

Reaching out here when having a hard time. It felt vulnerable at the same time too, cause I tend to have many thoughts like 'get over it already, don't put yourself out there, just buckle up'. But these were also the thoughts/insecureties that got me back at smoking in the past. So yeah, trying to get through all of that. And apparantly I am not the only one! And such wonderful people here. :)

Also... distraction, power walks, qigong, reading everything there is to read about addiction and smoking in particular, forcing myself to see each day as a brick I use to build this quit. Venting, writing, screaming in my pillow, practicing silence and learning to listen to what I need. Day by day and if needed back to hour by hour. 

Bitterbal, anyone? 

img_2947.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, My life, my recovery said:

Reaching out here when having a hard time. It felt vulnerable at the same time too, cause I tend to have many thoughts like 'get over it already, don't put yourself out there, just buckle up'. But these were also the thoughts/insecureties that got me back at smoking in the past.

This right here is how I lost my way too...I didn't smoke, but I just didn't know where to turn because I was kind of embarrassed that I needed help. I've never in. my. life. had to ask for help.

Please know the common goal here is to help people quit, stay quit, and learn to embrace and live quit. 

Never worry or wait. We are here to help!

5mhf8p.jpg

Party on MLMR!! ((I'm so glad you came!!))

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2018 at 12:16 AM, Kdad said:

Hey all you quitters! Staying nope over here. I was mowing the lawn today and felt a sense of panic at the thought of not having a smoke half way through. The day is filled with these little moments where I would take a break. Not sure how to fill the "break" space.

You will fill those moments by just saying NOPE every time those thoughts enter your head and by the time you are mowing your lawn next spring ........ you will NOT be thinking about smoking at all through the whole process. A cold brew after it's done maybe but smoking will not be part of your thought process by then if you stay clean from here on :)  It;s why we pledge a full year here in this place. You have to face all the seasonal triggers for a full year through all the seasonal changes before your brain is truly and fully adjusted to life that doesn't include puffing as a reward or as an escape from something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1