Length of Patch use???

MwBenson

Hello all i was wondering what everyones thoughts were on length of patch use. There has been some research showing that it is safe to use patches longer than the 10to12 week programs and possibly be helpful to a quitter. Does anyone have any experience with a longer patch use? Im on day 31 of my quit using 21mg patches and i can aquire free patches to step down over a period of 6monthsor more but want to see what other people think? My logic is more time without a puff means less association with the NRT patch andsmoking when going from 7mg patch to 0mg withdrawals??? Thank you all love to hear both sides to this :)

• Like 5

Hi Benson. I used patches and lozenges in my quit and I would not be here at 10 months quit without them. I was only on the patches for around three weeks but I remember prior to coming off them asking the same thing . I felt very dependant on them. But then my pal who was also using the patches said if I'm on these patches forever, so be it, I'm not smoking! And I thought, he's right. And low and behold a week or so later I stopped them. Don't panic about being on them, how long you'll be on them, or how you'll get off them. You are not smoking and that is the main thing. 

My coming off them just happened naturally, I had the odd day that I totally forgot to put one on. And when I realised that I was like wow!!! Maybe I don't need these as much as i thought. Once that happened a few times I decided to try without and I've been without since. The lozenges were great, having them there 'just in case. I've not had a lozenge for many months but I actually found a packet of the lozenges stuffed in my life jacket recently. It made me smile as that's where I used to stash my fags. Times change eh ?

31 days is amazing, well done you! And just keep going! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hello Mark,

I'm glad we have successful quitters like Weege to help you with specifics about the patch.

It is brilliant that you have quit smoking !

You have amassed a bundle of your personal power by quitting smoking, this will serve you well. 

Use it when you want to deal with your nicotine addiction.

The power is in your hands and I have confidence in your success.

Fortify yourself with as much information as you can.

The Harmful Effects of Nicotine

When you decide to stop administering nicotine to your body

you will,  undoubtedly,  go through some degree of withdrawal.

Withdrawal will not kill you.  

@Sirius had a profound post today, 

'Next time a craving plunks down on your face ask yourself, "What price you are willing to pay to own yourself?" '

S

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sazerac is too kind.  

MwBenson, I used the patch for something like two or three months tapering off via step 1, step 2, and step 3.

Here's the thing.  The patch allows you to break your habit of smoking cigarettes but you still have to eventually

confront your addiction to nicotine.

When you do get around to ending the use of the patch you will feel like you are missing something but your

not certain what that is.   

It can be a real head spinner but its survivable and it did work for me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I didn't use patches so can't give you direct experience with using them but what I can tell you is that breaking the mental associations your have made during a lifetime of smoking takes the longest time to break down and rebuild new thought processes. Freeing your body of Nicotine only takes around 3 days, or so I have heard. To me, using any form of NRT allows you to work on developing new associations in your day to day life that don't involve smoking - retraining your thought process. Then, once you have at least started that, you are perhaps better equipped to deal with the physical addiction issue and the withdrawal you will go through once you stop introducing nicotine into your body.

As others have said, whatever way works best for you is the right way. You will know when you are ready to stop the NRT whether that be patches, or whatever. It will come to you naturally as you progress through the quitting process.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I used the patch to quit and I started with the 21mg and stayed on that for a bit longer than recommended in the instructions...then stepped down to the 14mg also for a bit longer than the instructions recommended and then to the 7mg for recommended length of time and then that was it! No more patches....had a stash of lozenges and gum if needed but regular gum works just as well! Just don't put any flaming poison sticks in your mouth! ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I used the patches to quit and I followed the directions on stepping down, etc....what happened for me was I started to forget to put one on and after that happened a few times I stopped using them at all.  I believe in total I was on them for around 10-11 weeks.  I would not have been successful in this quit if I hadn't used them along with this place!!  Coming here daily and pledging my NOPE was key, and still is!  You are doing great Benson, keep on going!

• Like 4