Body Aches

Aine

I wasn't sure where to post this, actually. I think it is related to my smoking, but I'm not sure. Thought I'd throw it out here and see if anyone else has had the same problem. Within 3 days of quitting smoking, my whole body, no generalized area really, began to ache like crazy. Sometimes minor aches, but more often than not I really hurt. Enough that it is difficult to sleep. Felt like the bone ache you get with a bad flu, but no other symptoms. Hips and legs hurt worse than anything else. I thought it was connected with joining the gym and unaccustomed exercise, but now I'm pretty sure it isn't that. I have 2 months off nicotine , and I would have thought any physical withdrawal symptoms would be gone. I bruise easy, and due to cleaning because of family coming down and April festivities, I'm more purplish than usual. So, I, in my typical neurotic fashion, was pretty convinced I had leukemia. Smoker, you know!

I don't have leukemia. 2 isolated symptoms just doesn't work! But. . .I was doing some research on cortisol levels and smoking, and a weird, way too holistic a term called "adrenal fatigue" and I got to thinking that the body aches might still be related to my quit. 40 years of overstimulated cortisol levels and sudden withdrawal of a chemical. . it would make sense, I suppose. Has anyone else experienced this? And, when/if did it go away for you?

muscle aches are not invariable in people who are trying to quit smoking, but they do occur. Nicotine is a muscle relaxant, and in withdrawal muscles can get tighter, causing pain and sometimes even spasm ("charley-horses"). Hot baths or hot backs, a heating pad all may help.

found here

Not my experience Aine but you have me wondering. My man has been complaining of additional aches and pains since quitting but I put it down to his job as it's physical (mobile mechanic). Thought he may be giving things a little more oomph, but you are office based aren't you? So no actual advice as such but this long on, may it be worth a check up now?  No googling medical conditions though, it's almost always terminal! Whether you get advice or don't, hope you feel better really soon. x

PS, Can you get epsom salts to put in the bath, hillarious I make them and forgot to suggest, oops. epsom salts mixed with some lush smelling aromatherapy type oil is amazing for relaxing muscle complaints and it does genuinely help. Massage is also good for muscle aches, maybe time for a treat?

• Like 1

The same thing is happening to me Aine. I don't know if it's from the gym or what. My hips and legs are aching a lot. I just had two stents put in me for a circulation problem in my left leg. I'm going back to the Doc on the 19th for a follow up.

Not my experience Aine but you have me wondering. My man has been complaining of additional aches and pains since quitting but I put it down to his job as it's physical (mobile mechanic). Thought he may be giving things a little more oomph, but you are office based aren't you? So no actual advice as such but this long on, may it be worth a check up now?  No googling medical conditions though, it's almost always terminal! Whether you get advice or don't, hope you feel better really soon. x

I'm in front of a computer, most of the time, when not in a classroom. Even so, if your man is complaining of additional aches, perhaps it might be smoking related. No athritis in my family that I know of. It does sound like a few of us have some achiness though. All of mine started after I quit smoking. I had absolutely no aching prior to quitting.  Epsom salts is a great idea; think I'll utilize that and ibuprofen and just wait it out. Nicotine. Geez.

If you wouldn't mind can you keep me posted. He says all major joints ache, but one knee is really painful quite often. It's been going on the whole 6 weeks he's quit. Nothing before. Thought he was overdoing it or maybe getting arthritis due to his job.

When I tried quitting the first time about 4 years ago, I got flu-like aches on the third day. It honestly felt like I had the flu. It did go away thankfully. If it sticks around like yours has though, I would definitely consult your doctor. Mine went away in about two days. I don't know, we're all different, so it's possible the aches could stick around for a bit. But just to ease your mind, talk to your doctor.

And don't Google stuff! Lol, I'm a hypochondriac, so I Google everything and every time I do, I freak out.

I have had really restless legs, and I'm so tired and lost motivation to do anything x

Laura, I can totally understand how you feel, been there..got the t shirt.

It will pass, you have my word, but you can do a few things to help ease the physical detox. I know you feel tired, lack motivation, low mood even? Go for a brisk walk, make yourself, or put on your favourite music and dance up a sweat. It really does help lift the feeling.

Also make yourself a realistic list of things you need to do that day, get them on paper and out of your head. Ask yourself the million dollar question...would you do the tasks by the end of the day for a million quid? If yes then crack on, otherwise it's just an excuse not to do them. As crappy as it feels you really will feel better 'getting on' and work through the tired feeling. I know as I have had to do the exact thing and it really does help.

Sending you ((((hugs))))....crack on with a realistic list, cross each task off with a huge smile...job done.

I had the exact opposite problem you did Aine.  My body hurt all the time before I quit, especially when I would sit for an extended period of time.  I felt like the rusty tin man.  Once I quit, it all changed.  A lot of it is due to exercise I am sure, but it changed rather quickly.

• Like 1