Costume for Book Week - NEED HELP

notsmokinjo

Hey all not sure if you mob have Children's Book Week in your corners of the world but down under once a year we celebrate books... there are prizes for the best kids books and illustrators, all quite prestigious and the kids do book related activities at school all week, there is usually a book fair in the school hall and a book parade where the ankle biters dress as their favourite book character and go to school in costume for the day.

NOW back in my day (fvck I sound old) all these shenanigans stopped after primary school... once you got to high school no more book week... BUT NO... the kid informs me last night that they have dress up day on Monday.... so normally not an issue, I make her a costume, she gets up early and I do the hair and make up thing and off she goes... she has been a wicked witch, a gumnut baby, the BFG.. complete with skull cap and prosthetic ears, a banshee, a zombie, the great barrier reef, and a fairy princess. She tells me what she wants to be and sort it after making sure I can find a book character to match. OH and there was the year she went as some character from the Percy Jackson books that needed a Yankee's cap for the costume to be complete and I had to waste my money buying it for her...still feel dirty over that one.

Well now in highschool it has to match a theme. They can dress as anything as long as it meets the theme and they can explain how.... so the theme is TREASURE.... nice easy costume thinks I... a pirate... but nooooooooo, everyone will be pirates, she doesn't want to be a pirate.... aarrrgggghhhhhhh! what she does want are:

A costume she can wear her brown knee high heeled boots (thanks sperm donor, very age appropriate)

A purple dress

Something like and elf or a fairy but not an elf or a fairy, well maybe an elf but no ears and definately nothing with wings.

She has to have this hair and make up:

28428666_1980021668679263_21373706836451

SO my question is....  CAN YOU THINK OF ANY LITERARY / FOLK LORE / CHARACTERS that have something to do with TREASURE that fit with what the frickin princess wants.

I'm thinking something like this for the costume... but the make up can't be changed ?

Edited by notsmokinjo

Thanks jillar... OK, just got the official email from the school... the theme is "Find Your Treasure" and they need to dress as a book character that is within that theme.... so I spose we can tweak it.... last years theme was Where I Come From... which is why she went as a banshee... which is really stretching the bow because its a long way back for her for anyone coming from Ireland... mostly she is just an aussie.

Hmmm, find your treasure could mean all kinds of things. Not just actual treasure. The above book could still be used as there's always a Jack sparrow love interest in each book. Maybe love could be her found treasure?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Hey all not sure if you mob have Children's Book Week in your corners of the world but down under once a year we celebrate books... there are prizes for the best kids books and illustrators, all quite prestigious and the kids do book related activities at school all week, there is usually a book fair in the school hall and a book parade where the ankle biters dress as their favourite book character and go to school in costume for the day.

NOW back in my day (fvck I sound old) all these shenanigans stopped after primary school... once you got to high school no more book week... BUT NO... the kid informs me last night that they have dress up day on Monday.... so normally not an issue, I make her a costume, she gets up early and I do the hair and make up thing and off she goes... she has been a wicked witch, a gumnut baby, the BFG.. complete with skull cap and prosthetic ears, a banshee, a zombie, the great barrier reef, and a fairy princess. She tells me what she wants to be and sort it after making sure I can find a book character to match. OH and there was the year she went as some character from the Percy Jackson books that needed a Yankee's cap for the costume to be complete and I had to waste my money buying it for her...still feel dirty over that one.

Well now in highschool it has to match a theme. They can dress as anything as long as it meets the theme and they can explain how.... so the theme is TREASURE.... nice easy costume thinks I... a pirate... but nooooooooo, everyone will be pirates, she doesn't want to be a pirate.... aarrrgggghhhhhhh! what she does want are:

A costume she can wear her brown knee high heeled boots (thanks sperm donor, very age appropriate)

A purple dress

Something like and elf or a fairy but not an elf or a fairy, well maybe an elf but no ears and definately nothing with wings.

She has to have this hair and make up:

28428666_1980021668679263_21373706836451

SO my question is....  CAN YOU THINK OF ANY LITERARY / FOLK LORE / CHARACTERS that have something to do with TREASURE that fit with what the frickin princess wants.

I'm thinking something like this for the costume... but the make up can't be changed ?

Aww sorry Jo, I'm crap at this stuff...

But wanted to say...I love the make up ..this is fabulous...

School project, s have changed since I went to school...not getting the cane was a achievement lol....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Don't worry @Doreensfree my mum didn't do anything for ours. I had help from grandma and the aunties in the first few years then me and dad totally rocked the costumes... with a big age gap I always organised my little sisters costumes so I have had plenty of practice. One year my brother went as the hulk.... me and my dad made him the best costume, I chopped up some clothes that were getting small and my dad mixed some left over green external house paint with sun cream (cos that's like make up) and covered every exposed surface AND then used black nugget (shoe polish) to turn his blonde hair and eyebrows black.... yeah it came off so easy,  NOT... sure he lost a layer or too of skin getting the dad brand face paint off and it was weeks until his hair returned to normal. I'm sure my brother would have preferred a black garbage bag and some red lippy.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

OK so this is what she got....

B6A52585-423E-41E2-B368-4F60E86F758E.jpeg

5D77614A-77AA-44B8-9D04-43589680B753.jpeg

WOW!!!! EXCELLENT WORK, JO! YOUR DAUGHTER MUST HAVE BEEN THRILLED WITH HER COSTUME!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1