Quitting on a whim

Sarah

I'm getting a bit concerned by my quit as it seems so many people on here planned, read up, organised themselves before quitting on a particular date and time.

I split up with my boyfriend and thought to hell with it I'm quitting smoking too! This was not planned, thought through, organised etc.

Should I be worried or do plenty of people do this? I don't feel like I'm not equipt to deal with the triggers etc. With the help from people on this forum I've been fine (more or less!) So should I worry that my quit isn't good enough?

I know this sounds silly but there are lots of stories of failure on here, as a newbie quitter I appreciate they should be here but they are scary and slightly demoralising. Makes me wonder if I'm doing it "Right" (which I know I will be told there is no "right" way).

Do I know enough to keep a quit?

• Like 5

Yes you do.

I would know, because my quit was on a whim.

There was no planned date and time. I just quit cold turkey and never looked back. Now I'm almost two years into my quit!

So yes, I believe you are doing everything necessary to stay quit. Believe in yourself that you can do this. Don't get tangled up in the thought of relapsing.

• Like 2

Sarah, you are not alone - I also quit on a whim!

I had the flu and was too sick to get out of bed. By the time I had it had already been days without a cigarette so I decided to see how long I could go without one!

And I didn't find these wonderful people until day 16, so you are further ahead than I was at your stage ;)

• Like 2

Oh Gosh...No don't be worried!

I got a cold, stayed in bed for 1 day and gave up smoking in the Evening. No planning at all, I just put it out after 35 years of smoking. I quit on my own and signed up at day 8 or 9.

You are not doing anything wrong, you are doing fantastic.

You know enough to stay quit...you know that you don't want to smoke anymore! That's all there is to know..know what you want! 

You are right, all the relapse stories can be demoralizing....I felt the same way! I questioned my quit as well, like "everybody seems to relapse it seems to be normal, when will I?" I won't and neither will you  :)

There are a few one time quitters here...we should make our own thread!

Reading that relapse wasn't a crime, did it yesterday and that's one of the main reasons that I step back, that and my work.

I feel joy over my quit, I want to stay quit.

• Like 3

Sarah, you are not alone - I also quit on a whim!

I had the flu and was too sick to get out of bed. By the time I had it had already been days without a cigarette so I decided to see how long I could go without one!

And I didn't find these wonderful people until day 16, so you are further ahead than I was at your stage ;)

Sounds very similar to my story. I was also sick. I knew about the forum, but didn't join until about 5 days into my quit. :) So I was almost a week in!

• Like 3

Do I know enough to keep a quit?

firstly to answer this... Yes, You most certainly do, You are already doing it, so keep doing it, as it's working for you :-)

and yes many people quit on a whim.  I sort of did, I planned to quit at New Year, but woke on the morning of the 21st December, knowing that I had already quit when I went to bed the night before, just didn't know it at the time.  it just felt right, and so I went with it.

in many ways, it helps, because a plan can involve anxiety as the dreaded day draws close.  we were just quit before we could analyse it too much.

• Like 2

Different strokes for different folks Sarah

I quit on a Sunday at around noon... I ran out of smokes and just said "Screw it...i am quitting now"  did not tell anyone until they noticed.  My mind was right and I was ready.

I never looked back..... smoking was not an option... I successfully quit the very first time I tried.  It was not "easy sleazy" but I did it and I am a much better person then I was before.

Keep on keepin on.

• Like 5

The Sarge quit on a whim ... He was "planning" (yeah right) on doing it "some time in the next couple of months" when at some time near 7:15 pm on a night just like any other, somewhere on his long commute home, he looked at the half empty pack sitting on the dashboard and thought to himself "that was the last one".

And it was.

First quit. Only quit. No relapse.

Easy Peasy

HINT: every smoker already knows enough to keep a quit. They just don't want to.

They don't want to.

• Like 10

Hi, Sarah!  Of course you know enough to keep your quit...you know not to put something in your mouth and set it on fire.  You know Not One Puff Ever.  You know you are a puff away from a pack a day.  

My theory is that just like other things in life, some people are planners and feel they need a plan to be successful.  I am like that...I like a plan for everything.  Other people are more spontaneous, sounds like you are one of those people.  Neither way is right or wrong...it is just how we are!

• Like 2

The relapses worry me too ya know. Let's not do that!!  You and I, we won't because we choose not to smoke, you know enough not to do that - and it's that simple!!  The rest is excuses/choices/others, not you. You're quit. x

• Like 1

The relapses worry me too ya know. Let's not do that!!  You and I, we won't because we choose not to smoke, you know enough not to do that - and it's that simple!!  The rest is excuses/choices/others, not you. You're quit. x

Don't be scared to relapse... that is not the right way to go about it.  Be CONFIDENT that you will not... get strong and keep going.

Relapsing is not an option....Relapsing is not an option... RElapsing is not an option. 

Change you thinking and it will be easier... you are aggresor here... you are not the victim.

Continue on.

• Like 2

I did not plan either Sarah, I just did it. Just like you.

I do know my junkie voice kept telling me I should smoke one more so I could enjoy my last smoke knowing it would be my last,but thankfully I was smart enough to believe all my fellow quitters that told me that I would be making a big mistake if I did.

Happily that junkie has shut up now and only shows up once in a great while.

You will be fine Sarah :)

• Like 3

dont start doubting your quit sarah 

however it starts it does not matter the fact is you have quit so be excited and be proud of yourself - no ceremonies are needed to quit there is no right or wrong - there is just doing it and you are doing it

way to go girl x

• Like 1

Sarah

I quit on a whim too. No plan, no nothing, no board, no forum, just desire. I wanted my life back when I finally saw I had no control over my addiction. 35 years of smoking

So there is nothing wrong with your quit Sarah.

Keep the quit, there are people literally dying to be where you are right now.

Concentrate on learning about your addiction, stay away from toxic people and substances...and places.

Be on guard, always. I threw away a 2 month quit once b/c I was stupid.

Stay here, keep posting...you're doing great. :)

KTQ

Markus

• Like 2