I have not quit

Amy

Amy....in the beginning, not one puff EVER overwhelmed me.

So I took the E off.

I just thought of it as NOP. (Not one puff)

I just needed to get through each moment.......minutes at a time if need be. 

Those minutes added up into hours, which added up to days......

If the idea of NEVER smoking again overwhelms you and makes you want to hang on to your cigarettes a little tighter, maybe the idea of "I just wont smoke today" can carry you through.

Just a thought.

so true....that's why you read S.N.O.T (Smoking is not an option today) in my pledge for many weeks...lately I can say NOPE and it's not scary anymore.

So Amy, put them down and lets S.N.O.T. together :-)

• Like 2

kind of along the lines everyone else says about not smoking for the day.  

when i decided I was going to quit my uncle told me hadn't smoked in probably 10 or more years.  I of course was scared about how hard it might be since Id never tried before.  He told me when he quit he decided to say he was postponing his next cigarette... and had been postponing it since I think he I said 1999... so maybe for that 10 years now. 

I thought it was an interesting way to look at it... since we always have a choice to smoke.  he said it got him through the beginning knowing he was postponing it... and he still sees it that way.  

• Like 4

it's hard to not smoke because of the addiction. We are ALL nicotine addicts.... it's how we choose to deal with it however.Quitting ain't easy..... but it's worth it. A crave, a trigger, a withdrawl is never going to kill you, continimg to smoke may, and it will do other damage. it's a choice.. to quit or smoke, there is no in between, and knowledge and understanding about it is power in your life to HELP you quit..but you have to do the hard work.. nothing will do it for you... Commit to yourself....and I promise, the longer you get into your quit, the better you are going to feel... patience, diligence, and accountability...... choose to quit now... and get this thing started..... don't wait. :)

• Like 2

Amy - happy to see you back but sorry you smoked. Some times it takes a while for our brains to realise that we don't smoke and during that time it can feel over whelming but like the others have said if that is the case - take it a day, hour, minute at a time - only rule is don't smoke. You can do this - and while you are adjusting to life as a non smoker - remember we are all here to support you ?

I was 48 hours quit when I picked up "the book". Man, I can't tell you how many times I thought gee I should smoke until I'm done with the book. I bet thousands of people have started smoking during the read... and more than likely a bunch never went through the quit because of it.

No one's perfect - Alan Carr's Idiot Point was his "Don't quit until you read this book" screw up. Two days into nicotine withdrawal and that sounds like sage advice, heh heh.

• Like 2

When i thought about quitting and kept thinking of  date best to quit and when I was ready - I had to finally admit to myself that that day may never come I would always find an excuse

oh its the weekend

oh but so and so is coming over

oh but this is happening

basically any day with a Y in it had a Oh BUT

I just had to go for it - not think about it too much or the excuse would creep in - sometimes Amy you just have to jump in

I had quit for 2 months when I read the book - I didnt get very far when he said to smoke until finished - hell I already quit 2 months and it probably would take me 2 months to read it - I closed the book and I am still quit 5 months now

dont let the book be your OH BUT excuse Amy - jump back onboard asap 

I would rather jump 20 times then never - please do not be afraid - you life depends on it xxx

• Like 2

I should buy the book one day and put it somewhere so my husband can read it....like leave it in the bathroom by accident oooppps  :wink2:

Do a deal LB...

Deal is - he reads book. You won't nag him to quit.

His junkie can then process this - as read the book, she will leave me in peace... :ph34r:

• Like 2

I was 48 hours quit when I picked up "the book". Man, I can't tell you how many times I thought gee I should smoke until I'm done with the book. I bet thousands of people have started smoking during the read... and more than likely a bunch never went through the quit because of it.

No one's perfect - Alan Carr's Idiot Point was his "Don't quit until you read this book" screw up. Two days into nicotine withdrawal and that sounds like sage advice, heh heh.

I am pretty sure this is why I started back to smoking again- very dumb advice... however no excuses

Amy please seriously think about what you are doing to your body every day that you continue to smoke you are putting your life at risk and your life is worth so much more than that, stopping smoking is a scary thought, but again its just a thought, once you jump as you well know its not so bad, its learning to adjust your life to not smoking, its re-teaching yourself that there is a life without having to hold a cigarette in your hand, the beauty about this lovely site is that we have all been where you are and we all understand exactly how you are feeling, craves are nasty horrible thoughts that the addict likes to throw at you just to remind you that he will be hovering around, its how your learn to deal with them that will make you stick to your quit, in the beginning of my quit I found repeating NOPE over and over helped and using a good breathing exercise, your emotions will be all over the place and the automatic reaction to whatever emotion you are feeling will be to reach for a cigarette, this is when you have to remind yourself that you are no longer a smoker and that smoking will not make the world a better/happier/safer/brighter place.  Please quit, don't let the addict frighten you any more, flick him the finger hunny and come back on board xx

• Like 2