The withdrawl is horrible, but...

lml

I had a thought when I read this. In a way it is terrible, but in a way, this time, it is good. I am learning a great deal about myself; the addict I am (and all the characteristics of the addict me), the strength I have, how vulnerable and weak I am, how strong the community is, gaining confidence with each crave, how magnificient and resiliant our bodies are, and I am getting a glimpse of how wonderful life is without a cigarette.

• Like 9

I’m really happy things were going well for you in the moment you posted this. 

I don’t want to ruin your mood and I apologise in advance for possibly sounding like a misanthropic ass. But I feel I must warn you that like your bad moments your current elation will also pass. 

You see you are on an emotional rollercoaster and the safest thing to do is ti strap yourself in and accept the ups and downs. 

It is wonderful you’ve stopped smoking. It feels like crap. It feels sort of ok. I dunno what’s happening now. I’m handling this good. Its all just chatter. It helped me to remember this and to hold on to my quut with whatever was happening. 

• Like 2

Give is right and not a misanthropic ass at all.  

21 minutes ago, Giveintowin said:

emotional rollercoaster and the safest thing to do is ti strap yourself in and accept the ups and downs. 

You will garner strength and confidence with every crave crushed, every body memory reaching for a smoke denied.

Already, you feel different and better and kinder towards yourself, right !?  

It is great you are educating yourself about addiction, our addiction.  Education is POWER.

Believe us, when we assure you that gets a lot better after a while.  A whole lot better.  Stay focused and exercise your re-discovered strengths.

You Don't Smoke Anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Right Saz. There are times when I do feel the strength you talk about :) Which is a very, very good thing. 

But yes, there are times when I feel weak and vulnerable. As you can see from my posts, the rollercoaster ride I am on goes from high to low, sometimes within momements...lol. 

• Like 3

Enjoy the ups when you have them, and harness the satisfaction and strength you get from those ups to help sustain you in the lower moments.  You've got a fantastic attitude, and that is going to help you out A LOT!

Edited to add:  I'm having a particularly wonderful day today myself.  Didn't even THINK about a cigarette until I'd been up for about an hour and a half.  Celebrate the accomplishments!

Edited by TravellingSunny
  • Like 8

I'm having a particularly wonderful day today myself.  Didn't even THINK about a cigarette until I'd been up for about an hour and a half.  Celebrate the accomplishments!

So glad you are having a wonderful day Sunny :) I so look forward to reaching that accomplishment. Soooo nice for you. 

Enjoy the ups when you have them, and harness the satisfaction and strength you get from those ups to help sustain you in the lower moments.

Great advice. 

• Like 2

Lml, Glad you are seeing both the positives and negatives on the roller coaster of this ride.  Gather strength from both it will help you down the road.  As each day and crave goes by you will get stronger and feel better -- Keep strong your are doing well!!!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lml said:

I had a thought when I read this. In a way it is terrible, but in a way, this time, it is good. I am learning a great deal about myself; the addict I am (and all the characteristics of the addict me), the strength I have, how vulnerable and weak I am, how strong the community is, gaining confidence with each crave, how magnificient and resiliant our bodies are, and I am getting a glimpse of how wonderful life is without a cigarette.

The process of quitting smoking will not only lead to you breaking free from the shackles of cigarettes, if you really tune in, the process teaches many valuable lessons.  Confronting self-doubt.  Setting a goal and achieving it.  Learning the value of long-term benefits over instant gratification, etc., etc..

Strength begets strength.  Success begets success.  Long live the process!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, lml said:

and I am getting a glimpse of how wonderful life is without a cigarette.

Yes, life is wonderful without a cigarette.  You may just be getting a glimpse of that now but it will become much clearer and stronger with time. 

Keep up the great work, a smoke free life is worth the early ups and downs of a quit.

• Like 3

Glad you're having a good day today lml and sunny. The good days, in time, will outweigh the bad days and then soon enough the bad days will just be a memory. That's why it was important to me to read all my posts each month just so I wouldn't forget where I came from.

• Like 2

Glad you guys had great days ? have the same , some great &cant believe I can do this,  some anxiety ridden crap portions of days . Our daughter is my biggest cheerleader and could make me laugh at anything so there’s that? 

• Like 2

Glad you are seeing both the positives and negatives on the roller coaster of this ride. 

Yes, me too. I am very thankful that the negative doesn't overshadow the positive. I keep a diary and while the negatives demand the most attention, there are more positives that would happily be quiet if I didn't take the time to appreciate them. Kind of reminds me of  "bad" and "good" behaviour from my daughter. The first and only time she threw a fit, she was about 3. She got down on the ground and began kicking her fit and screaming because she wanted something right now and for some reason I didn't jump as fast as she wanted me to. :)  I didn't know what the heck to do...what was my little angel doing? So I walked in the other room and laughed...I didn't want to laugh at her, but I thought what the heck? She stopped immediately when she realized she wasn't going to have an audience...lol.  

So when a crave/urge/messed up way of thinking comes my way, I breathe and meditate...go someplace in my mind where these things do not follow or exist.

he process of quitting smoking will not only lead to you breaking free from the shackles of cigarettes, if you really tune in, the process teaches many valuable lessons.  Confronting self-doubt.  Setting a goal and achieving it.  Learning the value of long-term benefits over instant gratification, etc., etc..

Strength begets strength.  Success begets success.  Long live the process!

image.png.00bac2c5111c668f00fa5c98bc61cf1d.png

FREEDOM!!!!  So many valuable lessons to learn :) 

• Like 2