Day 7

The good news is that I'm able to not think about smoking for longer than a few minutes.  The quit is slowly getting easier and easier.

The bad news is that every so often I'll get a craving that I swear is as powerful as if I were still physically addicted.  Today, for instance, I went out on my lunch break to look for a pair of heels to wear to a wedding.  No issues driving there.  No issues walking around the shopping mall.  No issues trying on multiple pairs of shoes in multiple shops.  Honestly, smoking was just a passing thought when I would leave a shop, but I easily dismissed it and walked on to the next shop.  But then, after not finding what I wanted and deciding to head back to the office, I walked outside and BAM!  The craves hit me like a ton of bricks.  I mean, no amount of deep breathing was gonna fix it.  The only thing I could do was just suffer through it.  Got in the car, turned the radio up REALLY LOUD, and screamed along to the words of the music trying to relieve the sense of pressure.  Cravings are stressful, they really are.

I'm still a non-smoker.  Just not always real comfortable with it yet.

• Like 10

Yeah - that's how it goes unfortunately :) We ALL go through that or similar. It's a matter of knowing they will come at you and you need to just mentally say "F-YOU!!" and ride it out when that stuff overcomes you without warning. Good news is, those episodes happen less frequently and with less intensity because you have been successful fighting them off so often. Eventually they just give up and die out. It's like everything in this quitting game tho. It happens so gradually you don't really notice big changes. It just gets gradually better and better. I still have smoking thoughts occasionally but now they are very infrequent and with a mental head shake, they're gone - no biggie :)

Maybe think about flip-flops for the wedding. I hear they're in these days :15_yum:

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 6

You are doing well Sunny, having 7 days is great.  It will get better on the cravings, takes some time for your mind to forget all those bad habits -- but as  the pig lover states it gets slowly better and better.  You are aware to the cravings and you are now getting a handle on how to deal with them -- each day you will get stronger.

• Like 5

The nicodemon is hungry and getting impatient.

Tell it to go back to it's dark corner of hell and starve some more.

So, a wedding? it sounds like -

Your feet will get nice shoes.

Maybe a manicure, haircut and style?

Nice dress too. Time to clean up :)

But the nicodemon - He ain't gettin Jack squat. He is not important nor deserving of any treats. Slap his face next time he tries to demand that you smoke. Screw him.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Jetblack said:

The nicodemon is hungry and getting impatient.

Tell it to go back to it's dark corner of hell and starve some more.

But the nicodemon - He ain't gettin Jack squat. He is not important nor deserving of any treats. Slap his face next time he tries to demand that you smoke. Screw him.

Ok. Im still laughing. This made me snort out my coffee. I love it.

Between this post and your PM, I think you may very well have given me my power back. I need to anthropomorphize this addiction and get mad. Really, UGLY mad at that jerk, and I'm going to get quite petty about his mess too.

It's insane now that I think about it, but I'm not the one who is struggling. I'm doing just fine, thank you very much. The addiction, though. HE is squirming.

• Like 4

Sunny,Congratulations on a week that is a great accomplishment! I think day 3 and 4 have been the worse for me.The urges have not seemed as bad lately. Hopefully the days of the intense cravings are over.Now maybe it is going be more of a mental thing.Which may not be good for me my front porch light burns a little dim sometimes.

2 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

Sunny,Congratulations on a week that is a great accomplishment! I think day 3 and 4 have been the worse for me.The urges have not seemed as bad lately. Hopefully the days of the intense cravings are over.Now maybe it is going be more of a mental thing.Which may not be good for me my front porch light burns a little dim sometimes.

Must not be TOO dim... you're doing great, Rusty!! I'm so proud of us. Look at us not smoking!!

• Like 1

Yes, indeed- look at you!  You're forming all the right habits and keeping a positive outlook which to me is he key to success. Yes, there are times when it's hard these days but the thing that helped me most was to remember that the only way to conquer those feelings was to NOT smoke and I also did anthropomorphize the nicodemon and would hit him over the head with a club every time he showed up.  He would scream out in pain and eventually get up again but each time he got up, he'd be weaker and slower to rise.  

• Like 1

Congratulations on your first fabulous week done :) I remember too screaming and swearing at the top of my voice, with the radio on in my car, haha that kept me going too. Scream all you want ... just don't give in to that whiny snivelly nicodemon :20_kissing_smiling_eyes:

• Like 1