NRT patches coming off

I finally came off NRT parches last week and am finding I’m having cravings again. 

I was was told to use NRT by the quit counsellor. She also said it’s easy to co

r off the patch. Compared to first quitting this is easy but it’s still annoying having cravings. There’s been extra vigilance required to keep my quit. 

Has as anyone else experienced this with NRT?

The other thing is while I’m going through this the quit counselling had wound down appointments so I don’t have that support either. 

Yesh i I guess I’m whining again but I’d rather do that then smoke. 

• Like 4

Hi Giveintowin.  My experience was slightly different in that i was on the patches religiously but after 3 weeks I kept forgetting to put them on.  But when I realised I did not have one on I felt ok, it wasn't a panic.  So I knew I could manage fine off them and i subsequently came off them with no increased cravings.  I remember at the beginning though the patches were a godsend and I felt if I stay on these forever thats ok as they are keeping me off the fags.  I suppose you've got two options - adjust to being off the patches or go back on the patches.  I'm a firm believer in do whatever you gotto do to keep your quit.  There's only one rule here - dont smoke. Re quit counselling appointments - is it possible just to ask for the support to continue or even more support, or look for support from another organisation?  Hey you are just a few weeks ahead of me, we are fast approaching 6 months!!  Stay vigilant and keep doing what you are doing because you are doing brilliant.

• Like 2

^ What she said, especially about different horses for different courses....your quit is about you and what works for you, not about fitting in with anyone else. OK I used NRT gum to help me quit. I gradually weened of it. But when I stopped completely it was worse for a week or so but never as bad as at the start of the quit, just more annoying.

• Like 1

I don't know of anyone that has had a completely easy quit,

they are all different but, you must, at the very least,  expect some temporary discomfort.

After all, you are weaning yourself from a dangerous addictive drug.

Since counselling has wound down, spend more time here and share your experiences.

Learn more about nicotine addiction and know you have made one of the best decisions of your life.

Reward yourself.

S

• Like 3

The beauty of this quit forum is that whining isn't a bad thing. If it helps to whine, we will listen.

Getting it out there is soothing - so whine, rant, rave....just don't smoke.

I went cold turkey this round, but I say do whatever it takes.

You're doing good...one day at a time...

KTQ

• Like 5

GITW

I was on NRT gum to start with and came off after the first month. It was a challenging but manageable transition, as you seem to be experiencing.

You're doing a superb job meeting numerous firsts as you go along. Vent as much as you want here, there will be plenty to scream along with you :).

Be proud of what you are achieving and KTQ!

• Like 3

Hi givein, I hope you're feeling better today. Cravings are going to happen unfortunately no matter using NRT or not. The good thing though is that each time we get past one, it gets weaker so next time isn't so hard. You are doing great and should be super proud of yourself :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jillar said:

Hi givein, I hope you're feeling better today. Cravings are going to happen unfortunately no matter using NRT or not. The good thing though is that each time we get past one, it gets weaker so next time isn't so hard. You are doing great and should be super proud of yourself :)

Hey thanks Jillar and all you lovely peeps who responded. 

I trudging through these craves to freedom. I imagine it would be twice as hard without support. 

• Like 2

I missed this original post but am happy to see you facing this new challenge head on and with the knowledge that you have come this far already and battled this addiction successfully so weaning off the NRT product can certainly be done.

I have no experience myself weaning off the NRT products but I have heard of others who have done the same as you're doing and yes, they have had to deal with increased cravings and discomfort while weaning themselves off the NRT but, they have all done it successfully.

I too wondered at the start of my quit whether I should use NRT or just go cold turkey? I used a patch for the first two days then forgot to put one on day 3. When I realized I had forgotten it, I just decided then to try the cold turkey route. I can't tall you if that was a good decision or not. Cold Turkey wasn't easy by any means - fighting both the physical and mental withdrawal at the same time but, the benefit to me was later on when I didn't have to wean off the patch.

No matter which route any of us choose to take, we all have to pay the price somehow at some points in our quits. No choice is completely right or wrong. Whatever we feel is best for us is always the right choice individually I think.

You will do just fine GITW! I don't think this challenge will last too long for you and you already have a whole tool box of tricks available to do battle with .... and us here of course for support :)

• Like 2