Those quitting firsts

Guys I gotta fly tomorrow on a plane. I have to confess that I don’t fly well. It’s even almost resulted in panic attacks. I’m not sure since I felt so sick physically it could have been that. 

I wanted to prepare in a way and put it out there that this may be a time when I think about smoking more. 

Id just appreciate if anyone supported me/shared their experience or something in order to help me through.  I will not be able to post when I’m going through this since I’ll be on a plane. 

• Like 5

Well one good thing is you wouldn't have been able to smoke on the plane anyway so there won't be the smell. Maybe your anxiety was worse in the past because you couldn't smoke.

So 1 week after I quit I had to go to softball were at least 50% of the adults smoke... Where all my mates smoke but I did it... The worst for me was the first family function both smoke and NRT free...I love my family but we all know each others buttons... I was more worried about how bad it was going to be than it actually was...and the anxiety I normally have around them wad better because I wasn't sneaking around to smoke.

You have got this mate. You are stronger than you ate giving yourself credit for. Don't forget that this time you fly you won't have that nico demon bltch in ya head 15mins into the flight reminding you how long ya got to ya next smoke. Suck some lollies, have a chewie, do a Sudoku or crossword or word search even... Getting your brain focused and thinking about something else that needs concentration can help.

Will keep ya in my thoughts and remember were all back on the train cheering you on.

• Like 5

Hi Giveintowin, thanks for posting this.  I've a holiday in 8 weeks time and holiday is a big first for me not smoking. Re flying I remember my pal said instead of that hell you have as a smoker not being able to smoke at the airport, it was actually good being able to chill out and not be worrying that you cant have a fag for X amount of hours. You know fags wouldn't calm your flying nerves. I bet being a smoker made your panic worse as hey all us smokers were in a panic travelling as we couldn't smoke. I really hope its better for you being a non smoker and I think it could well be.  Im hoping to enjoy my time at the airport, eating a big breakfast, have a large glass of wine, go shopping...instead of panicking about when i can have my next smoke.

I would have a glass of wine at the airport just to chill you out, but thats just me, I know not everyone is like that or would agree.

• Like 6

Travelling is so much easier being a non smoker !

Travelling is so much easier having headphones and something interesting or soothing to listen to.

Take a really good book, a coloring book, writing paper and now, if you have a phone you have so many options (games etc).

People watching is fun. Talking to strangers can be interesting.

Me, I love to fly.  I love looking out the window at the clouds and the quilt of the earth.

If things are dodgy, I do a lot of deep breathing.

I know travel can be stressful but, it was far more stressful being a smoker.

Remember who you are, you are a non-smoker, you don't smoke anymore.

Have a safe journey and tell us all about it when you can.

• Like 7

I don't actually have any advice, but, every time one of our members has gone on a trip where they have flown they come back and talk about how great it was not having to smoke.

Can't wait to hear your story.  Have a good trip!!!

• Like 7

Hey gitw, had my first flight smoke free ever around 4 weeks ago. Like you, I'm not the best of flyers, but the worst of the nerves are reserved for take off and landing. Turbulence in the air doesn't bother me. 

Anyhow before the latest trip, the routine used to be have 2 to 3 cigarettes outside the terminal before heading in and then if there was a smoking area have a couple more before the flight. 

So this last time outside the terminal it was just about waiting for my wife to vape and reflecting that the routine for me was a bit different this time. I was actually very relaxed about not worrying about nicotine intake, nrt gum and the like. 

It didn't make the take off or landing any better, but not did it make it worse. The routine for those just remains eyes closed and deep breathing. 

Hope you find the same thing and wishing a great trip. 

• Like 5

Flying is so much more relaxing without worrying about where and when you can have your ciggy fix...

Specially if you have to go into those smoking rooms.... How gross....

Have a great smoke free trip...you will be much happier...x

• Like 4

Hope this goes well for you. I'm pretty sure it will because as others have stated, traveling as a smoker, your anxiety level gets ramped up just because you can smoke for a long period of time. You won't be dealing with that now at least. I'm thinking you'll find it easier now.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Giveintowin said:

I made it! ? thank you all. 

Funny how those things we build up during a quit never seem to turn out as scary and horrible as we imagined.  In most cases, you're left wondering why you were worried in the first place.

Good work and congratulations.

6 hours ago, Giveintowin said:

Take off is the thing that does me in. 

I've never had a fear of flying.  It's the crashing that bothers me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Glad to hear you arrived ....

I lost my fear of flying after I visited Nicky in OZ....28 hrs on a plane does this...you don't care anymore...spent half the time walking around the aisles ,due to dead legs  ..

Now anywhere is no problem...

Enjoy the break..