Keep That Quit!

Boo

I've never been one for scare tactics when it comes to smokers.  When I smoked, I blocked it out.  I was willfully oblivious.  That being said, I've spent much of the last two-days at the Heart and Lung Institute at a local hospital.  My dad is having some issues with his heart and is going in for a bypass on Friday.  I have no way of knowing how many of the patients at the heart & lung campus are or were smokers, but the law of averages says a sizable percentage.

I get it, we're nicotine addicts.  Sometimes you just want to smoke one.  However, I can guarantee you this: regardless of how bad your day may be going, the patients at the lung clinic are having it worse than you.

Keep your quit.  Be relentless and unwavering with it.  Guard your quit with everything you have, your life depends on it.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Best wishes to your dad and to you, Boo.  It's so difficult to see someone you love suffering as well as all the others too who have families who care about them too.  These are eye-opening events that cement your quit more securely than the addiction ever was.  Yes we can do this. Those folks are not in a position to choose.     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Boo

The signs are everywhere.  Smoking has serious and deadly consequences.  That fact can only be ignored so long.   The only reasonable countermeasure is to quit and stay quit.  Period.

Wishing a positive outcome for your dad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That sure would have been a powerful image seeing real people at the lung institute. I quit smoking spur of the moment in a week that three people i know diagnosed with cancer. One skin, one throat and one lung. The one with lung cancer died when my days were in the seventies. So a young mother died in just over two months after she went to the doctor with what she thought was a chest infection. The other two doing great and hopeful for full recovery. When the penny finally drops that smoking will kill you, there's no going back. Its a massive realisation. No more denial. Thanks for sharing that boo and i hope your dad is ok.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sending my love and best wishes to your Dad.you and all your family... I wish him speedy recovery...

This is one part of my quit that frustrates the hell out of me...keeping my head in the sand for 52 years ,without caring about my well being...

I have just spent time in A + E..in hospital.. I would say 95 per cent of people coming in had breathing problems... And coughing up loads of gunk..

I can,t imagine going through this with a smokers cough....it would have been impossible 

Hugs to all Boo 

Xxxx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the well wishes, it means a lot.

They did the surgery today.  It ended up being a double-bypass.  A more complicated procedure, but it was necessary.  The procedure went well, or at least as well as can be expected when you have people stabbing, cutting, and prodding you all day.  Dad is in the ICU now.  They took out his breathing tube, his vitals are good, and the last round of X-Rays looked good.  The old man is going to be kicking around for quite a few more years.

Thanks for the support and stay healthy out there.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jetblack said:

I sure hope your dad isn't a smoker and if so, hopefully you are on him to quit.

He smoked in his younger days, but quit back in 1969 before my sister was born.  For a man his age, his lung functions are strong.  And as I've learned over the last couple of days, strong lungs facilitate recovery.

One more good reason to keep your quit.

• Like 5